Epiphone Les Paul Uke 1st review

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
Ok guys and gals.. Here is the 1st of several reviews I plan to post on this uke. This specific one is 1st impression out of the box.

1st, I am very familier with Epiphone guitars, and I keep in mind that they ARE factory built instruments. The uke is no exception. I have found that Epiphone are very nice guitars, and actually very well built, and a quality instrument in comparison to other factory built instruments. In fact, I have seen some late model Gibsons and Epiphone is not a far 2nd to those in craftsmanship.

This Uke. 1st impression is what I expected. An well built, good quality factory made instrument, as all the epis I have seen and played before it. It is an Epiphone in all those respects. Good instrument, but not a "perfect" instrument with a few small details that miss slightly. I have some pictures below point out a few small inperfections that in a hand built custom would be disappointing. But again, in an instrument like this, not so much, and is fully acceptable.

It is a heavy little uke. Very robust feeling. In fact, from 1st holding it, first thing I thought was this would make a great travel uke. Feels "tough" and well built. Again, kinda funny because the Gibson Les Paul is reknown for it's heavy weight and robust feel and sound. There IS a family resemblance.. It is pretty. Very glossy, nice finish. Wood looks great as it does on the big boy Les Pauls. They have been reknown for being a beautiful instrument. This is no exception. Finish is awesome. Binding looks like a typical Epi Les Paul. Nice, and finished.

Tuners are decent for a uke like this. I personally think they could be upgraded maybe, but they are decent so far. We'll see more about that as time passes. The only real thing I think that Epi could have done was at least clean up the nut work. The nut was rough filed, and there are burrs and shavings hanging off the nut. I think they could have taken a minute more and at least knocking the shavings off and deburred them a bit. But, that's an easy thing to deal with too. The strings it came with, I am not sure about. Kinda stiff for me. I will be putting on Aquilas and comparing them later. This will be addressed in sound too.

Sound? Acustic, seems kinda low volume to me. Might be partially the strings, but I haven't really "gotten onto" it yet either. It sounds decent, but kind of shallow I think. It might be because I am used to the sound and volume of the Ohana. It's not bad, but a little shallow I think for me. We'll try that again with the Aquilas. Connected to an amp? Now THIS was fun. I ran it through clean, with a blues tone, with a metal distorted tone, and with a weird scifi type wawa tone (weird). Running it through some effects was really fun.

Clean through an amp, it sounded REALLY cool. Loved it. Also put some blues effect on it, and ran a couple blues riffs, and it sounded even cooler. Ran some heavy metal distortion though it, and that didn't do well at all. It sounded like a rash of mess. Don't try that at home people.. lol.. Ran some other effects through it, and it was fun, but weird. It did really well under amplification. But then again, it's a Les Paul, go figure, hahhah.. Family humor again.. .

Should you get it? Hell yeah, it's only $100 bucks.. It will probably be the best and funnest $100 uke money you spend. I wouldn't make it my main Uke, but for fun, and especially travel, I think this is it. It's a really cool lil uke. Now for some pics.. I will try to do some sound samples tomorrow..

Lil Lester next to his new big brother Ted.
lester8.jpg

Here is a couple flaws. Some should be expected for a factory, and this price point. But thought I would at least mention.
lester2.jpg

The pictures really don't do this thing justice. It really is a cool looking lil axe. Or maybe I should just say hatchet .
lester1.jpg

finish and wood looks great on the back.
lester5.jpg

lester7.jpg

lester9.jpg

Aint that cute.. Even a little big boy serial number... hahhah.. Typical Epiphone inspection stickers..
lester4.jpg

lester3.jpg

I just noticed in the pictures, the finish looks "orange". It's not, that is just the lighting and flash I guess. it's is a deep cherry finish, more deep redish. The wood grain is really nice looking, and looks like a typical Les Paul finish. very glossy..

I forgot to mention, intonation is pretty spot on from open to 12th fret.. The more I look at the nut, the less I like it. I think Im gonna change the nut and saddle to bone. I got a couple extra bone blanks so I got em, so why not.. ;) Also, looking closer, I don't think the sides are bent. I think they are carved, or routed out of block wood, which would explain some of the weight of it. The sides are thick, and the horn and the other side of the neck is solid. You can tell by looking inside that it is, besides knocking on it in relation to the body. It's solid. Which may also be why the volume is kinda low too in acustic.

Pedalfreak. I think you might want to add a few more than two to your order. I don't think your gonna keep em in stock.. Just sayin..

Last edited:
The top looks pretty thick, which may also contribute to the low volume and shallow sound.

Is it really as thick as it looks in the photos, or are the images playing tricks on my eyes?

Its kinda thick. About twice as thick as my Ohana SK-35. Which would make it heavier, and lower volume. But, it also makes it pretty tough maybe and make a better travel uke. This thing is well built and seems and feels tough.. I wouldn't hesitate to toss it around.

Pedalfreak said he ordered 6, but only received 2.

I'll let you know what I find on mine when I get it - although when he strummed it over the phone, it didn't sound bad at all. He said that they do a setup before the send it out (Pedalfreak, not Epi), so I'm curious about the roughness and burrs at the nut.

I'll watch your updates, and show mine when I have something.

-Kurt

Have one on back order from Sam Ash, well over a month, haven't heard a thing. Should have known better than to deal with Sam Ash, thought that because they are big I would get one sooner. I should have known better.

That fretboard seems a little thick....similar to the thickness of my Oscar Schmidt OU5. My finger keeps hitting it when I strum. Yes? No?

Man, it looks like such a good uke! But I just can't get over how awkward the headstock looks to me. The backside pic you took with the tuners makes it look even stranger to me. But the body...ohhh man, gorgeous Les Paul action.

Enjoy it!

Thanks for the interesting review, but something about the whole instrument underwhelmes me - maybe it "tries too hard" to be a bit of everything.

I'd rather spend a bit more and get the RISA Les Paul (which I did). Fully electric, and tons of fun. Sounds like the finish is better than on the Epiphone.

Aloha Bruddah Tudorp,
Thanks big guy for the review.....and now I want one....real nice for a hundred bucks.. Looks Like a sweet Deal for sure!!!! Thanks for sharing.....Happy Strummings...Stan

Glad to hear it is quite decent and on par with similarly priced decent ukes.
Epiphone/Gibson haven't let us down :)

I impulse-bought an Eleuke acoustic-electric soprano from MGM's clearance sale, so there goes the money I reserved for this Epiphone.
But perhaps I will consider adding it to my collection in the future, when it would be a lot easier to get my hands on too. Right now, it still seems a bit hard to find it readily available in stock without having to compete. Thanks for the review

The day after. As most of you know, as the new wears off of anything you buy, you start to notice things more clearly. Sometimes there is even regrets. However, in this case, not yet. No next day remorse. I love this uke, but the more I look at it, and play it, I find things I want to work on, or make better. The action is a bit high torwards the end of the scale. It looks kinda like the way a Banjo action is. The strings are 1mm from the top of the frets at the nut (nice low action I like), but 3mm from the top of the 12th fret. By the 19th fret, 4mm. The bottom of the strings to the surface of the top is a whopping 11mm. I think that is what one user was talking about as a "thick fretboard". Yes, the fretboard is thick, but that doesn't bother me much, but it does put the strings quite high from the sound hole IMHO. I don't think that is so much of a problem tho, but is kinda weird to get used to vs my other ukes. I think I want to level out the strings a bit tho by raising the nut slightly, and lowering the saddle. I think maybe they didn't compensate for the thickness of the pickup under the saddle when they set the saddle? But, like I mentioned earlier, I plan to replace the cheap plastic nut and saddle with new bones anyway, and I can fix this little annoyance at that time. It's definatly not a deal breaker, but worth mentioning. Again, it's only $100, so some little things like this should be expected. I still believe a great bang, and a great fun little uke for the money. We'll say some more as I play with it for a full day.

Oh yeah, BTW: Late last night, I took those out of the box strings off it. I just didn't like them. I put on Aquila Nyguts, and I do like it much better with Aquilas. The sound is a bit warmer, a bit louder, and a bit more sustain. Ya need to order ya a set of Aquilas when ya buy or order it.

One thing I meant to mention yesterday but forgot. The first thing I noticed, no wait, the weight was the 1st thing I noticed. So, the 2nd thing I noticed was how smooth, and comfortable the neck was. Allot of ukes I have played in the $100 and less category I tend to have to file the ends of the frets and sand the neck to smooth it out so it isn't so rough on the hands when sliding along it. It may just be a pet peave of mine, but, I hate running my hands along the ends of frets, and non-smooth necks. I like it to be smooth, and fluid. The finish detail in the frets is really good on this uke. Ya don't even feel them at all running your hand along the neck. Really nice and comfy to me.

lester12.jpg

lester11.jpg

lester10.jpg

Top Bottom