PDA

View Full Version : Oh My! It Works! - Thanks Uncle Rod

Tack
04-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi all - thought I would post this here for the other beginners who frequent the forum.

I too am a complete noob - had my Mainland for about 2 weeks and almost no experience with stringed instruments in the past

I sent this PM to Uncle Rod a few days ago:

Hi "Uncle Rod"
HAD to send you this pm... Have been working on your boot camp for 2 weeks.... 20-60 minutes a day - pain allowing. Also done some 'noodling' to get used to strumming along the way. Fingers are toughening up well.

Today - picked up Ukulele Mike's YouTube lesson on amazing grace (another person you recommended IIRC).
It simply fell into place - Thanks to the boot camp, I KNEW the chords/chord changes backwards and could concentrate on the rhythm and singing.

Suddenly playing this instrument is a revelation. I had the biggest grin on my face......

Your system works........

Thank you - sincerely - thank you

With Uncle Rods permission (and to get his free links into the post easily ;) )

I will post part of his reply...

Thanks for the good word! I really appreciate it.

Thanks for taking it by faith and working through the exercises.

If you've been doing all the keys, you'll be surprised at how much easier it will be for you to learn new songs in different keys. Oh, you'll always have to learn an 'odd' chord here and there, but you have already laid a substantial foundation for all your future ukulele playing!

Sounds to me like the hard work is pretty much done and now you're experiencing the relative freedom of simply playing the uke.

I realize that some who look at the Boot Camp may be put off because it doesn't teach any songs. I'm truly glad that you recognized it for what it is - basic orientation in the use of a new and unfamiliar music-making tool, and that when one becomes skilful in the use of the tool THEN one will be able to play the songs, indeed just about any songs, much more easily.

Thanks again, and keep uke'in',
Uncle Rod Higuchi
( seattleukulele.org )

Ukulele Boot Camp rev.pdf http://www.4shared.com/document/WI3SRGwf/Ukulele_Boot_Camp_rev.html
Free Songbook http://www.4shared.com/document/glqpCWDf/Free_Songbook_Master.html
MP3s http://www.4shared.com/dir/gp-s7YJU/MP3s.html (http://www.4shared.com/dir/gp-s7YJU/MP3s.html)
Strum a Ukulele http://www.4shared.com/audio/QkFvKmOc/Strum_a_Ukulele.html

Now of course YMMV as they say :D
My point is that - I was wondering whether it was worth the initially sore fingers, occasional cramps and occasional APPALLING sounds!
It turns out (and I had to prove it for myself) that with practice - it DOES become easier, more enjoyable and FUN! It is worth sticking with - and at least for me - Unca's system seems to have given me a base to build on.

I know some of you 'Pros' will smile at the simplicity of Amazing grace (5 chords in key of c...) but can you remember when it was THIS new to you - and THIS exciting?? :D
Long way still to go I know - but the smile says it all.
Mahalo for reading!

itsme
04-07-2011, 03:37 PM
With Uncle Rods permission (and to get his free links into the post easily ;) )

I will post part of his reply...
You did a copy/paste, which in vBulletin often truncates the URL links, so some of the ones you thought you were linking don't work.

Just sayin.

Tack
04-07-2011, 03:58 PM
You did a copy/paste, which in vBulletin often truncates the URL links, so some of the ones you thought you were linking don't work.

Just sayin.

Thanks - Fixed... <doh!> Appreciate the call! :D

mm stan
04-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Aloha Tack,
Thanks for sharing your most inspiring thoughts and motivating us even further...And yup Uncle Rod's is the way to go..for sure!! thanks to you both!! Happy Strummings, MM Stan

fitncrafty
04-08-2011, 01:36 AM
I agree it works and it's great! Thank Uncle Rod!

rowjimmytour
04-08-2011, 10:50 AM
+1 Mucho Gracias Senor Tijo Rod!!!

Zeebad
04-09-2011, 12:15 AM
I've just ordered a baritone and am a complete noob to stringed intruments. I've got hold of a baritone chord chart, will the boot camp translate straight to baritone if I replace the chords or am I oversimplifying?

Teek
04-11-2011, 09:44 PM
As far as I'm concerned I'm still a noob, but as I have it figured you have several options.

You can learn real baritone chords on your linear tuned bari, for which the standard is G tuning. As you have noted they are different chord shapes on the baritone than standard C tuning on other ukes.

You can "translate" it directly to your bari if you pretend it's in low 4th C tuning and just play the chord shapes as shown like I do on my hubby's bari, (which is up a step in linear A tuning because it sounds sweeter and less guitar-ish there). Then the shapes you learn (and the names you learn in the course) will transfer to all other size ukes. Like a tenor in low 4th they will sound different as opposed to the same chord fingered on a traditional re-entrant tuned uke because of the linear 4th, but the chord shapes you learn will all have the same names. I just use C tuning chord shapes on everything because that is difficult enough for me!

You can also get GCEA tuned baritone specific strings for your uke, either low 4th or re-entrant, which makes your baritone essentially a long scale tenor. It will sound brighter and maybe better. I myself have Worth Brown tenor low 4th G strings on the bari tuned in A. It's got a lovely voice tuned this way.

Personally I already have 4 guitars I got for my hubby to learn on that neither of us can play so don't need a 4 string version of a guitar in a baritone uke. If that is what you prefer then you might want to learn the baritone chords because they are tuned like the top four strings of a guitar. Then I would guess that you could replace the chords name for name in Boot Camp.

The best part is no one can tell you it's wrong to string it re-entrant or in C tuning or lower, because a baritone is already "breaking" the rules of ukulele, which is that it "should" be re-entrant and short scale. To me they are all wonderful. :D

ConspiracyUkeist
04-12-2011, 07:15 AM
I downloaded the boot camp file, not easy to figure out but I did it, but the fretboard diagrams don't come out, I just got stuff like "G7" and some numbers. So, I guess I can look them up somewhere else and then use that to practice. Pretty cool, just lots of chord practice. Thanks!

siauke
04-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Hi -- I just downloaded the boot camp and the chord diagrams printed. Did you get all 5 practice sheets?

Tack
04-13-2011, 10:15 PM
I downloaded the boot camp file, not easy to figure out but I did it, but the fretboard diagrams don't come out, I just got stuff like "G7" and some numbers. So, I guess I can look them up somewhere else and then use that to practice. Pretty cool, just lots of chord practice. Thanks!

Hi Con :D
Dunno why they didn't come out! The files from the official; site (Uncle Rod's Signature....) are complete with the Tabs.... Also extensive explanatory notes IMHO.
Have another go? Make sure you have up to date Adobe reader etc etc?
Good luck! :cool:

ConspiracyUkeist
04-14-2011, 08:31 AM
For some reason my text editing program opens the file and it's VERY bare-bones, no diagrams, etc. I'll need to see if I can find it other ways, in fact, if you could, could you email the full version to me? My email is alexbanjocarter@gmail.com if I can get it in a .pdf I'm sure I'll see the whole thing. As it is, I have to really jump through hoops to download it at all and as mentioned, what I get isn't very friendly or useful.

Thanks!

hopkid
04-14-2011, 08:49 AM
For some reason my text editing program opens the file and it's VERY bare-bones, no diagrams, etc. I'll need to see if I can find it other ways, in fact, if you could, could you email the full version to me? My email is alexbanjocarter@gmail.com if I can get it in a .pdf I'm sure I'll see the whole thing. As it is, I have to really jump through hoops to download it at all and as mentioned, what I get isn't very friendly or useful.

Thanks!

I just sent you the Boot Camp pdf as well as Uncle Rod's Song Book. I hope they open up correctly!

ConspiracyUkeist
04-14-2011, 11:15 AM
I got it, the boot camp loaded fine, the songbook, nope, but it's the boot camp I really want/need.

I'm gonna be training on dat buggah garans ball-bearin's!

rowjimmytour
04-14-2011, 11:52 AM
I got it, the boot camp loaded fine, the songbook, nope, but it's the boot camp I really want/need.

I'm gonna be training on dat buggah garans ball-bearin's!

Could it be the program your using to open file. Right click and use open with and depending the file extension use correct program. Such as .txt, .jpg, .pdf, etc.

psylocke24
04-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks for sharing, it would be a great help for a beginner like me. I appreciate Uncle Rod's kindness.

ConspiracyUkeist
04-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Agree! Uncle Rod is da man! Thanks, Uncle Rod!