Hey guys

Lexxy

Reaction score
Has anyone ever played, or by a longer shot, own a custom Kamaka or KoAloha?
I fell in love with this headstock.
briancustom03.jpg

takemura-custom-040.jpg

Wow, those look nice.

To answer your question, yes, I've played more than a few Custom KoAloha, and less than a few Custom Kamaka. Of course, I've done more than just play a few Custom KoAloha, and have done work on two Custom Kamaka. Just so happen to have a Custom Kamaka sitting in a case in my home, beautiful instrument.

To answer your question, yes, I've played more than a few Custom KoAloha, and less than a few Custom Kamaka. Of course, I've done more than just play a few Custom KoAloha, and have done work on two Custom Kamaka. Just so happen to have a Custom Kamaka sitting in a case in my home, beautiful instrument.

How do they sound? Also, pictures? :p

First off, no pics - I usually take pics of stuff I work on. The Custom Kamaka I have sitting belongs to a friend, who never plays it. Okay, change that, I do have some pics of inlays for KoAloha, but not the entire instrument (not all of them anyway).

Since you asked how "they" sounded, all I'll say is different, because all of them were made differently, of different woods. With that being said, there is more to note: there's a reason why I refer to Kamaka, KoAloha et al as "factory" instruments; they are. The Customs from KoAloha and Kamaka sound AND play WAY better, generally.

One caveat: the KoAloha Herb Ohta Jr model (which could be consider semi-custom I guess) sounds decidedly different from other KoAloha Tenors. For those that own one, you know what I mean. If you've seen one, you know why they sound different as well. Don't ask, I'm not telling. Paul may, if you ask him. In fact, if you order one (if they're still available), I'm sure he'll explain what's different.

I guess the question that's not asked is, "Why should I get a Custom KoAloha or Kamaka when I can just get one off the rack at a fraction of the cost?" The answer is, "Because they are different instruments."

Top Bottom