Anti-pick-up?

I'm quite the opposite.
I can't fully enjoy a uke unless it has a pickup.

All my main ukes have pickups. It's like a pre-requisite for me :)

I used to use a pickup that sticks to the side of an uke with putty. Doesn't tear the varnish off.

I've got a couple with and more without. I like the ones with and use them for times a pickup is needed and play the others the rest of the time.
On the other hand, I'm also not planning on adding pickups to any ukes that don't already have one.

I used to use a pickup that sticks to the side of an uke with putty. Doesn't tear the varnish off.

My wife has one of those and they sound GREAT! IMO
I like it better than the under saddle pickups.

I prefer my ukes without pickups - more traditional.

I was looking at the Schertler Basik the other day and it looks like a decent unit if I was to ever play at an open mic or something and did not want to use a microphone.

Chuck Moore does not like putting them in his ukes. He feels that that's the one thing that could cause problems with the uke in the long run. Of course he also has issues with anything that might deter from the acoustic sound of his ukes.

I wouldn't say that I'm anti-pickup, but I much prefer a full acoustic instrument. I don't have a need for a pickup in my instruments.

Not unless it's plugged in. ;)

Great answer Mike. I installed one of the JJB pickups in my tenor and it sounds good, but I really prefer just using a mic. I find that pickups sound too sterile when I play them, especially the under the saddle types. I like the sound of an acoustic instrument with a mic in front of it. I might feel differently if I was in a group or if I wanted to use lots of effects. With something like an Eleuke, of course, a pickup is required. I also agree with Chuck that if something is going to cause trouble down the road, its probably the pickup, especially if it was an after thought install like mine.

Last edited:
If going with lots of effects, I would go with a solid body uke. At that point you are distorting the sound so why not get something more geared towards that.

In theory, I don't like pick-ups as there is the probability they will affect the unamplified sound, whether its a UST or a stick on type. I must say, however, that for gigging I wouldn't have it any other way. Trying to get the instrument mic'd is always a pain. IMO, the positives outweigh the negatives.

I just don't like the idea of drilling a hole in any of my instruments! I prefer using a mic for my uke

I always try to steer people away from pickups unless they are a working musician where they "need" to be plugged in.

The real reason I don't like pickups is that I go through great pains to build my ukes as light and sonically efficient as I can. I shave a gram of wood here and there in order to make the instrument as responsive as I can. Then what? Throw in a four ounce Fishman Matrix Infinity with 9 volt battery and volume control, adding weight and filling up the sound box? Not on my ukes! (At least not anymore....)
Amplification however is a necessary evil in the case of most stage musicians who don't want to be limited to a stand-up microphone. If I am pushed to install a pickup, the Misi/Baggs combination is the least unobtrusive and best sounding pickup available.
(There is a very small percentage of players who should be playing louder anyway!)

All my stage/performance ukuleles are retrofitted with the MiSi/Baggs pickup configuration. As Chuck said, it is absolutely the least obtrusive and sounds great. We gig constantly. (For example: The second week of May, we have 8 gigs) The MiSi units are rechargeable so I'm not littering the planet with spent batteries.

I've used everything from mics on stands (they get in the way) to the vintage DeArmond 750 ukulele pickup (I have 4) which attach with rubberbands and fall off when you are playing. CLUNK!

The MiSi is the most elegant want to amplify your uke if necessary.

Top Bottom