Resonator ukuleles

Uke Republic

Reaction score
Just wanted to know who out there likes them.
Ohana makes some top of the line models using the metal parts hand crafted in the UK. Kala will be offering concert and tenor scale models later this summer. Is there a want for these instruments. They are mighty cool. Makes me want to play some Delta blues ukulele style:)

OldPart does.. I hear he makes one hell of a Resonator uke, as well as a mean cup of coffee. ;)

I like em.. Dont have one, but might do an oldphart on one of my spares. I like the ring of them, but thats no suprize because I like the banjo too, and it is a cross between the two I think..

Well, I Have a Mya - Moe resonator in the works, so my answer is yes. :)

But I think that right now there's not a lot of choices out there. Stores tend not to carry them, and if they do, it seems to be either $300 Recording King models, or somesomething over $1200.

So, I don't think there's a lot of demand now, but I think it will slowly grow as more folks get exposed to them, and as more sub-$1000 models turn up.

I played one of the Ohanas last fall, Ken had one at the Napa festival.
It was a deep resonate voice and not nearly as twangy as some of the cheaper ones I have played.
The Ohana at MSRP is not cheap, but appears to a quaity instrument, a huge step up from the Johnson and Republic and just below a Mya-Moe.

I think your right. The Kala may fit the niche for people wanting to get a nice instrument and not break the bank.Maybe a Sailor reso down the road.
Well, I Have a Mya - Moe resonator in the works, so my answer is yes. :)

But I think that right now there's not a lot of choices out there. Stores tend not to carry them, and if they do, it seems to be either $300 Recording King models, or somesomething over $1200.

So, I don't think there's a lot of demand now, but I think it will slowly grow as more folks get exposed to them, and as more sub-$1000 models turn up.

Aloha Mike,
Guess it's time to check out you site again...and check them out....never had a reso uke yet...I guess they are getting popular again...I seen one in the Kam uke magazine..think it was a National.....
Thank you for sharing....Happy Strummings...MM Stan

I really dig my National Maple resonator. I was curious about the Ohanas thinking they'd be a little less expensive, but when I played the National ukes, I was sold and got a good deal on a new one. I'd still like to test drive one of the Ohanas. McCabes in Santa Monica has them I think. I should get down there to give em a go.

I tried a resonator a while back because I love their sound, but it didn't really work for me. The instrument doesn't mesh with my style of playing, or the songs I normally play.

Hi,
when you're talking about kala Resonator, are you talking about this :
17803_md.jpg

Do you have more information about it ?

By the way I've just bought a Busker Flea resonator (Busker Guitars) and received it last tuesday… Paid about 480 $.
I really love it…

Here's a little video I made today…

Please forgive lack of music skill…I'm juste a beginner (one year practicing)

Thats the one! Available in concert and tenor list is $369.00 and $399.00 but expect tp pay around $300.00 when they start coming out.
Hi,
when you're talking about kala Resonator, are you talking about this :
17803_md.jpg

Do you have more information about it ?

it seems to be either $300 Recording King models, or somesomething over $1200.

Don't forget Beltona! They come in around $850 and they are AWESOME. I had a custom National that I bought from Jason Verlinde...it was really sweet, but my next reso uke will be a Beltona.

By the way I've just bought a Busker Flea resonator (Busker Guitars) and received it last tuesday… Paid about 480 $.
I really love it…

Here's a little video I made today…

Please forgive lack of music skill…I'm juste a beginner (one year practicing)

That is a sweet one there.

I think there would be some market for a good wood-body resonator in the ~ $500 range. For my tastes the metal-body Recording Kings and whatnot just don't do it and I just couldn't justify spending > $1k (National, Mya Moe, etc.) for something I'm not going to use all that often. That's why I chopped up a Mainland red cedar concert and made my own. That worked pretty well but if I'd been able to find something in the $500 range with a solid-wood body and a real spun cone I wouldn't have bothered with the DIY.

John

Top Bottom