PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear Ukuleles

haolejohn
04-08-2011, 04:08 AM
So on a recommendation in another thread I looked into getting a Black bear ukulele. He is selling some solid koa sopranos for a really cheap price. I'm not a soprano fan at all and am even considering selling my kala travel soprano, but solid koa for $350. wow. anyways, I'm a little bummed. He only accepts bank draft, check or money order. I am a little bummed. Anyone else ever been bummed with an affordable purchase that is just out of reach?

WestPhillyUke
04-08-2011, 04:13 AM
I have been so close to buying one of these...I mean solid koa, made in USA by an acclaimed builder for 350 bucks...it's a no-brainer! But my wife would kill me...and I'm trying to downsize at this point rather than acquire more "stuff."

For myself, while I love my concert and long-scale soprano, I am primarily a "soprano guy" -- I have never really taken to tenors, and I've owned a few, including a really nice Kamaka HF-3. They just don't have that snappy uke sound. Though I am still thinking about a Collings or Compass Rose tenor one of these days...

Anyway, last night Duane had 2 of these left, and I kind of hope someone else buys them before i succumb!

mm stan
04-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Aloha John,
Heard about them from another UU member too, but I just aquired some ukes....and my pockets are empty..but that is a real good deal....Was that Duwayne Helmam of Washington??? or something??Thanks
for sharing and the heads up....MM Stan:):)

rem50
04-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Any link to these?

Gmoney
04-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Any link to these?

http://blackbearukuleles.net/

BadLands Bart
04-08-2011, 09:21 AM
The site sez there is only 1 left!! That is a real good deal for a US made solid Koa uke. The site says the neck is macadamia wood! Cool!!!

SweetWaterBlue
04-08-2011, 09:39 AM
So on a recommendation in another thread I looked into getting a Black bear ukulele. He is selling some solid koa sopranos for a really cheap price. I'm not a soprano fan at all and am even considering selling my kala travel soprano, but solid koa for $350. wow. anyways, I'm a little bummed. He only accepts bank draft, check or money order. I am a little bummed. Anyone else ever been bummed with an affordable purchase that is just out of reach?

If you are not a soprano man, why would you buy one?

haolejohn
04-08-2011, 09:53 AM
If you are not a soprano man, why would you buy one?

Point is excellent.

Hippie Dribble
04-08-2011, 10:29 AM
The site sez there is only 1 left!!

ummm.....none left? :o

I grabbed the last one last night (very early morning today, your time). It is a bit of a pain re having to send a check in the mail (1/2 hour in the bank and 10 days in the express post) - and a worry - but it's well worth the wait to own a Black Bear.

Doc_J
04-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Those did look sweet! I got #3 of the lot. Couldn't resist at that price. Although I'm definitely going to have to sell one I have, as I'm trying to stay at 0 net gain in ukes this year.

Doc_J
04-14-2011, 03:45 PM
My Black Bear Koa soprano arrived today. Wow. Best sounding soprano I have played, really. Very rich tone with good volume.

The uke is hand-made and nicely built, if not 100% perfect. The excellent sound makes a small blem or 2 seem inconsequential.