how much % off MSRP when buying new ukulele?

AcousticDoc

Reaction score
You can usually expect a 25-30% cut from MSRP when buying a new taylor guitar from a shop. Is there a similar pecentage for buying new Kamakas and koaloha?

Good question. I'm a Martin guitar fan and I have purchased almost all of my Martins from a handful of dealers who actually sell for 40% off list price. As far as ukes are concerned, I bought my KoAloha for what looks like roughly 15% off list. I took into condsideration the free shipping and the case that was included. I don't know if there are any set discounts though. I would imagine some dealers have a little more room than others, taking into consideration overhead, etc...

y'know, that's a pretty damn good question. I think MGM would be best to answer this question than anyone... however having said that - Kamakas and Koalohas (especially Tenors) are sometimes hard to come by. If you see one for a pretty good deal, there's really not much use in calculating percentages, etc. Cause by the time you're done with the calculations, someone else already bought it. LOL (It happened to me twice already.) :(

Dude Poi Dog, I want your koaloha tenor so badly! It doesn't even make sense! I've barely played my jenny concert and i haven't even heard the tone of the koaloha yet...but I STILL WANT!

These are all Hawaii, retail stores, but here's what I've seen from visiting. Direct from the Kamaka factory, I believe they have 10% off. At Dan's Guitars, the number is something like 15-20%. And at Easy Music Center, they rock the 25% off. I haven't been to any of the uke stores in Waikiki (since parking is not the most fun there) and haven't visited Good Guys Music and Sound or that Guitar shop in Ward in a long time. But the biggest I have seen from a retailer is 25%, which is very very decent when you're getting an expensive instrument.

Top Bottom