Cross Banding

Ken W

Reaction score
Three quick questions about cross banding...
Do you always cross band a two piece back?
What is the width of the cross banding?
Does the answer to either of these questions vary according to the size of the uke (soprano, tenor, etc.)?

I did some experiments on this.

I took a pile of the offcuts left over from making 2-piece backs and tops and I bent them till they broke.

Not one of them broke exactly on the glue line.

So now, I don't generally do cross-banding. I'd use it if someone wanted a contrasting inlay strip up the back seam. Apart from that, I reckon a decent glue joint should be less prone to failure than the wood itself.

yup, half inch also, or thereabouts... as a total newb, i dont get why the back gets c/b and the front doesnt? obv i understand the sonic implications.... but ive had it explained to me that the c/b 'holds' the back together, if this is the case, then why doesnt the front? or am i speaking from a non softwood soundboard point of veiw?

The top has a big hole cut in it, and may (some say should) have a sound hole patch laminated, thus strengthening that area. The area in front of the upper transverse brace to the neck block is pretty small so wouldn't be a concern, and on many instruments has a fret board laminated over top anyway.

Below the lower transverse brace there should be a bridge patch inside. You're not going to have much real-estate left that is un-supported. And if you use a fan bracing one may be laminated right over the centre join anyway. So it's not much of an issue.

yup.. that makes total sense allen... thank you :)

*think before asking silly questions darryl.

On my sopranos I use a cross band of about 3/8s wide or just over... surely that's fine on such a small instrument. Probably go with 1/2" on concerts and tenors but to me that width just looks overkill on the soprano.

I just put a Tenor back together...and forgot the X banding:mad:..i had to fit it after the bracing had been glued in..so! all the 3 bits had to be cut to size, radiused and sanded before I could line them up and glue them in:wallbash:...It looked alright in the end tho'...I won't do that again.:D

I'm sorry for your frustration, Timbuck, but I'm also glad that I'm not the only one who makes those "Step 1, Step 2, Step 4, Step 3" kind of mistakes.

Top Bottom