2003 Kamaka soprano on eBay - why so pricey?

Aloha Janeray1940,
I read what the seller said....and a few words caught my eye.....money is tight...he/she can sell it for whatever they like...it's just a standard off the shelf soprano...but it does have nice grain and stridation of
colors....

Aloha Janeray1940,
I read what the seller said....and a few words caught my eye.....money is tight...he/she can sell it for whatever they like...it's just a standard off the shelf soprano...but it does have nice grain and stridation of
colors....

Mahalo Stan! That's what I figured. If it was something special I was going to be nice and email the seller to tell them they should say so in the listing :)

It is, however, very pretty.

Huh. Seems like seller may be fishing on a newbie--good old Yankee ingenuity!

For $1,500, you could get 2 Kamakas to play!!!

For $1500 you could buy one in hawaii

For $1,500, you could get 2 Kamakas to play!!!

He's fishing... For $1500, you could buy a Standard at the Kamaka factory, in person, including airfare from Mainland. Here's a 2010 HF-1 from Scotty's Music on Kauai. $695, including a hardcase and shipping to Wisconsin.
KamakaSkunk.jpg

Last edited:
I think he's looking for a sucker... In the listing he referred to the world famous Kamaka like three times ...Handmade in hawaii ...Real authentic koa...Like it was a magical ukulele...He must really need money bad...Hope some rookie doesn't fall for his shananigans.

I did ask if it was a special edition or something (even though I know it isn't) and I ask why such a high price. I hope no one gets suckered into paying
$1500 for a standard yet beautiful koa soprano.

here is the response I got:

Aloha,

I got this back in 2003, I have two made one month apart by Kamaka. I collect Ukulele's and this one is just that special, the KOA in person is some of the best I have ever seen and this Ukulele sounds extremely nice, specially for a Soprano Uke. I would consider an offer in the $1200 range but I am not in a hurry to sell it. I struggled with if I should sell it at all.... Mahalo for the good questions, CS

He's fishing... For $1500, you could buy a Standard at the Kamaka factory, in person, including airfare from Mainland. Here's a 2010 HF-1 from Larry's Music on Kauai. $695, including a hardcase and shipping to Wisconsin.
KamakaSkunk.jpg

wow Tom!!! Is that yours mate? That, I think, is the nicest looking kamaka HF-1 soprano I've ever seen. She's an absolute beauty!!!! I'll offer you $700...he he (and pay for shipping myself) :drool:

wow Tom!!! Is that yours mate? That, I think, is the nicest looking kamaka HF-1 soprano I've ever seen. She's an absolute beauty!!!! I'll offer you $700...he he (and pay for shipping myself) :drool:

UAS strikes, hard again :p

Isn't Koa wonderful?!! Never the same on two 'ukuleles and always a surprise! I love this sapwood. At first glance the sapwood center seems different shades but as you roll it in the light it matches perfectly then flips to darker on the other side. And those dark blushes come and go with movement. The chantoyance is amazing to me.
And yes, this was a product of my early UAS. How crazy can UAS make you? I bought this sight unseen. Scotty said he had this "striking" sapwood Standard, so I googled koa sapwood and fell in lust right away.

Not for sale for now, but if I ever, you have first dibs...

Last edited:

Not quite the same, they're bundling a $189 uke with a (presumably) decent case for $269 - unless the case is junk that's a fairly reasonable price. I'm sure they've got to be making a little profit somewhere but not in the same category as doubling the new price of the instrument for a used one.

John

Not quite the same, they're bundling a $189 uke with a (presumably) decent case for $269 - unless the case is junk that's a fairly reasonable price. I'm sure they've got to be making a little profit somewhere but not in the same category as doubling the new price of the instrument for a used one.

John

or yeah.. what he said :)

Doesn't say you get the case in the advertisement ... so if you do I guess its a good deal

Doesn't say you get the case in the advertisement ... so if you do I guess its a good deal

This Mainland Soprano Ukulele sounds and looks beautiful and with the included Faux Aligator case, you will turn heads. You will not find another solid wood ukulele for this price. The smallest of the ukuleles, the soprano is a classic in every sense of the word. The sweet tone of a real wood uke is everything you are looking for in a ukulele.

yes it does.

Top Bottom