kora/donsonkoni - Mali 6 string

I'm not familiar with the 6 string one, but I play the 21-stringed kora and the bridge goes right over the horizontal wooden stick (one mine, about 10cm above so in scale it might be about 2cm). The strings tension holds it in place perpendicularly to the body of the instrument.
Hope it helps!
If not, my uncle knows all kinds of West-Af instruments very well, so I can ask him if you have a picture of what the problem is or a more detailed description of what you're trying to do.
Good luck!

Well, reading the link he gave (and that's about my only knowledge of this subject) it's a donsonkori which wikipedia says looks like this.Bassekou_Kouyate_photo.jpg
I guess it would be the bigger one with six strings though. Hope it helps some.

I have one of these intruments.They are beautiful but the sound isn´t great.

Kouyate (on Brian's picture) plays the ngoni ba (4 strings, 2 outside ones are drones, 2 middle ones fretted).
I asked around about the donson ngoni, it's an ngoni too but more similar to the kora in that the strings are only plucked by thumb and index finger using both hands and there's no fretting.
However it's not the instrument on the link given by the OP. Westaf instrument names can be confusing :)
I assume he/she's asking about the donson ngoni and not the instrument on the picture?
Anyhow, I found a website that explains it better than I can and that gives some info about tuning for the donson ngoni and a few other instruments in the same family. Probably the bridge placement can be derived from that and from the picture, as these instruments don't have tuners and it's very much a question of string length and placement. Hope it helps!
http://www.kora-music.com/d/familie.htm
"The instrument has 6 strings in two parallel planes with pentatonic tuning: C-D-F-G-Bb-c
right hand: C-F-Bb, left hand: D-G-c (absolute pitch heights vary of course, right and left hand may be reversed)."

Top Bottom