Baritone advice!

Dotted

Reaction score
Yet another newbie looking for buying advice! I've been saying I wanted to learn guitar for ages. However, I started looking into ukuleles one day at random and really liked everything I read about baritone ukuleles in particular. I'm new to stringed instruments (I sing and play a little flute) and have very tiny hands/fingers, so a uke seems like it would be a better fit for me. I looked at a few in a local Guitar Center; they had a few concerts and a baritone. I really liked the size of the latter while the former just seemed too small to me when I picked them up.

Since I'm just starting out and not sure how well I'll take to stringed instruments, I was looking to start off with something less expensive and upgrading if I really enjoy playing (I hope I do!) I saw several people here speaking well of the Rogue, which is crazy cheap for an instrument in my book, but I also saw a post where it was said it was harder to play because of a wide neck/string spacing. So I wonder if that wouldn't be good for a newbie with small hands.

I also saw a few decent reviews elsewhere for Hilo and Savannah baritones, but couldn't find very much info on them. Makala is on the high end for me price-wise but still a slim possibility. It seems to be sold out most places right now, though.

Any advice would be appreciated! I've been reading up for a few days now and my head is getting pretty turned around at this point :rolleyes:

Aloha Dotted,
Welcome to the UU and our forums....Have fun and enjoy it here...Check out Dr uke for songs, chords, and instruction..My advice to you is go in and try all the sizes out...and look for comfortability, playability,
and sound...not essentially in that particularly order...Many beginners start off on a soprano if you do not have any string instrument experience, to me it's easier to play....there are brands of ukes such as Oscar schmidt that has wider string spacing..ask the salesman.. I own 2 rogue baritones and 3 Rogue sopranos..it was my first ukes, I play mine daily ...only problem you have to use adjusted tuning on them to sound
good..they have consistancy tone issues, but if you can tune them by ear, they can sound really good to me...they are my everyday players..for me they don't sound good in the standard GCEA.. If someone can
help you with the tuning the you can write it down, and you can get a digital chromatic tuner clip on..to set it to that settings..I use a cherub WST 550C.. I hope it helps, good luck...Happy Strummings, MM Stan http://www.metronomes.net/CherubChromaticMateWst-550C.htm

If you have small hands and fingers, I would definitely recommend a concert over a baritone. You will get used to the size very quickly. I have sopranos, a concert, a tenor and a baritone. I wear a man's size large glove, but my fingers are short. The easiest uke for me to play is a concert, followed by the tenor.

Best idea is to go to a shop where you can play around with the different sizes. Keep in mind that over the years as you play, your hands will stretch to the sides (not length, obviously), making it easier to reach notes further on the fretboard with your pinky (my left hand can open a full 1" wider than my right because of playing guitar).

Any size uke will be playable - mostly it's practice, practice, practice to get there.

The difference between each scale length is about 2" top to bottom, so the difference in distance between frets on a concert and soprano, or concert and tenor is really not very much. What will affect you more is the width of the fretboard. Smaller ukes have narrower fretboards, which for some means they are easier to play, but others (like me) find them cramped.

I personally prefer tenor with baritone number two (really depends on the song itself). I can play concert, but find soprano a bit too small for comfort. I have average hands.

I have a makala baritone and hardly play it. Mine is tuned dgbe. I think concert ukulele is the easiest to play but regardless, I still like to play the soprano more. I also have a tenor Makala and it has a low G and I don't seem to play that either. Mostly I am picking up the sopranos.

I don't have a rogue but will say that people play guitars which have wide fretboards ... even people with small hands do that. More string spacing will just make it easier in my opinion because it will be easier for example on chords like D to use a finger on each string instead of having to bar them in a group. Or even if you bar them, I think having more room can be an advantage. I can't imagine the string spacing is that wide to cause a problem. So, the rogue wouldn't be such a bad choice. You could also check out the Mahalo 320. I heard it on youtube and it sounded pretty good. WS64 plays a Johnson here: and they cost about the same as the mahalos, about 70 bucks..

I'd sell you my Makala baritone but it has a case and I would want to sell that with it. Its hardly been played and I put Martin strings on it. I have too many ukuleles around here.

I played the Oscar Schmidt baritone (as shown above) and that is a very good deal. It played and sounded very nice and I would have bought it but chose the spruce top version (OU53S).

Last edited:
My advice to you is go in and try all the sizes out...and look for comfortability, playability,
and sound...not essentially in that particularly order.

Hi Dotted

I totally agree with stan. Where are you located? Is there a decent music store near you? (I am not talking about Guitar Centers etc). You should hold in your hands different-sized ukuleles.

I may be over-simplifying but, there are soprano, concert, tenor and baritone. The first three (s/c/t) are usually tuned GCEA, while baritones are usually tuned DGBE. Many ukulele instruction books/DVDs are written assuming you have soprano/concert/tenor. In that sense, it is easier to learn on s/c/t.

The place you visited didn't have a concert or a tenor, and I urge that you find them and try. Asking a salesperson...... It depends. Many have no clue when it comes to ukulele, sadly.

When you are ready to buy, keep in mind that playability and basic set-up is very important for a beginner. If a ukulele is poorly set-up, it is not fun to play and can discourage you. It can be hit or miss on lower price ukuleles, and you should exect to spend $20 - $30 to get one set-up properly. That itself is not a big deal, but you want a store who knows something abut ukuleles.

Or, you can do on-line shopping. I like MusicGuyMike http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room/ as he only sends out a ukulele after it is properly set-up. Drop him a note. He does not always list inexpensive ukuleles in his e-Bay store.

Good luck - this forum is a great place to get answers, and you will meet great friendly people here!

Cheers
Chief

It was actually sopranos they didn't have, oddly enough! I should try out a tenor though, as that was the sound I liked the best after the baritone, particularly when strung with a low g. (I've been watching/listening to LOTS of YouTube videos.) I know the baritone is strung differently than the other sizes of ukes, but as much as I love the sound of them, I think it would be worth the extra bit of learning curve.

I live in the L.A. and was planning to stop by the Fretted Frog today. It looks like they're a really good shop and excellent for things like setting up a new instrument.

Huna, I'm a little tempted by your Makala too, even with the case. So many choices!

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Are you saying you want to play a Baritone with standard tuning, or because of it's size and sound? Just want to be sure you know you can buy GCEA string set designed for baritone!

Baritone with standard tuning, I'm pretty sure. I do know GCEA is an option though.

Went to the store and tried out all of the sizes (as much as someone with know idea what they're doing can try out an instrument) and the baritone still felt the best holding it, although the tenor wasn't bad either. The guy at the shop also gave me a 3/4 classical guitar to hold to compare and that felt WAY too big. Small person obviously needs small instrument :)

So a tenor (with low g stringing) isn't out of the question but I'm still really drawn to the baritone the most.

Hi Dotted

> I'm still really drawn to the baritone the most

If so, by all means, you should get a baritone. And I *think* if you get a set specially designed for a baritone to be tuned to GCEA, the tension would be about the same so you do have an option of GCEA or stay with DGBE.

Also kig kudos for the store. If they know enough to bring out a 3/4 guitar for you to compare, I give them a high mark for knowledge and customer care. Forget what I said about salesperson. This store deserves your business!

A while ago, I played a Kamaka Baritone (at Music Emporium in Lexington MA) and that was a sweet ukulele. For $1295, I am tempted.....

Cheers
Chief

Small person obviously needs small instrument :)
I don't buy that rationale. There are many small children playing full-sized guitars with apparently no issues. (Just go to youtube and search for Korean child guitar.)

But get whatever it is that you want. I also play guitar and find I like tenor ukes the best. Many consider baris to be too guitar-like.

That was meant to be more tongue-in-cheek :) But I definitely do feel more comfortable with the larger ukes than the guitar.

Hi!
I have a Lanikai LU-21B Baritone and it is an AMAZING instrument (though I ended up buying a soprano too, which I prefer.) Here's a couple buying tips:

1- Amazon has this thing going on that lets you save $40.00 off your purchase if you apply for an Amazon Visa card. They also offer free 2-day shipping if you sign up for an Amazon Prime 30-day free trial. I paid less than $70.00 for my baritone (brand new) and got it 2 days later. You just have to remember to cancel the Prime membership within 30 days, or else they'll charge you $80.00 for the year. I haven't cancelled the Visa card yet, as I'm not sure if there is a down-side to doing so.

2- If buying from an actual store, be sure to haggle! Guitar shops (well, all shops really) will always mark up the merchandise. There's almost always a discount available but you HAVE to ask (they can't legally advertise below a certain amount (the "MAP", which i believe is "minimum advertised price) but, when asked, they can give you the "real" amount that they're willing to accept for an instrument. You will probably annoy them, but it's totally worth it. Also, if you see an instrument online for a lower price (has to be new, and can't be from a site like ebay) they will often match it. If you're willing to be annoying, you will be much less annoyed by the price :)

I actually already did the Amazon CC deal previously when I needed a new scanner. But I'll definitely keep the haggling thing in mind, thank you!

I've been thinking things over for a few days and I'm not really sure if I'd be getting myself in over my head with a baritone. As much as I like them, I know I have to keep in mind that I don't actually know anything about string instruments and my impulse/instincts might not be the best thing to listen to here.

I was sort of considering a tenor as well now and was wondering if you more experienced players would recommend a tenor over a baritone for a beginner...

Top Bottom