What's up with the Kanilea Super Tenor?

AncientMatingCalls

Reaction score
Just curious, since either they don't exactly specify on the website, or I just can't see.

Is this just a standard tenor neck with a larger body? Or like the super soprano/concert is it a tenor body with a longer scale neck?

Anybody have one that they'd care to share pics of?

It's a tenor neck on a (pretty ugly) baritone body. They sound really nice, but I can't get past the looks. :(

Yeah, I agree it's a pretty ugly shape. I had one of these super tenors and thought it looked like a fat kid's puffy face. However I thought it was one of the best sounding tenors I've played. Easily good enough for me to look past the ugliness and I considered it on par with my custom built tenors in terms of sound. The only reason I sold it was because I had plenty of tenors already and wanted funds for something else.

Here's a picture of it:
DSC_9155.jpg

I quite like it. Reminds me of Nicki Minaj.:eek:

I presume the sound really accentuates the lows huh? How do the highs come through seeing as Kanilea are naturally dark sounding.

Think of it as a ukulele dreadnought. Dreadmought guitars have standard scale necks, but the bodies are usually bigger - my old Guild was an inch or two deeper than a standard guitar, and a little bigger in the lower bout. The design makes sense for an acoustic uke: the baritone body gives more top surface area and more body cavity for the sound, so it should be louder, richer with overtones.

Personally it looks fine to me and it has caused my USA to itch. What sort of price does it carry?

I've seen it around the $1100-$1200 range. Though I think you should be able to find it for right around $950-$1000 for the satin finish if you look. I haven't been able to find it yet, but I have a feeling it's somewhere.

I wonder though, if the body is deeper or as shallow as the standard tenor. You'd think that they would make it deeper, but I'm not sure that's the case.

It has my UAS flaring too.

Think of it as a ukulele dreadnought. Dreadmought guitars have standard scale necks, but the bodies are usually bigger - my old Guild was an inch or two deeper than a standard guitar, and a little bigger in the lower bout. The design makes sense for an acoustic uke: the baritone body gives more top surface area and more body cavity for the sound, so it should be louder, richer with overtones.

Personally it looks fine to me and it has caused my USA to itch. What sort of price does it carry?

Ian,

I see you're not too far from Toronto. 12th Fret on the Danforth had one the last time I was there. I believe it was $700 or $800. I'm assuming it was used. Great sounding instrument and it may be worth a call to see if they still have it in stock.

Top Bottom