My uke smells like cigarette smoke... what to do?

Vic D

Reaction score
The recipient of a uke I sold recently has informed me that it smells like an ashtray and he's had it airing out for days to no avail. Is there anything that will get rid of the smell? I did play the thing for a few days and smoked around it, probably got good and drunk while playing it too. I don't usually smoke around them and I do lemon oil the fretboard and give the uke a polish with Meguiars just before shipping just to knock off any smoke smell that might get around them...

Last edited:
The recipient of a uke I sold recently has informed me that it smells like an ashtray and he's had it airing out for days to no avail. Is there anything that will get rid of the smell? I did play the thing for a few days and smoked around it, probably got good and drunk while playing it too. I don't usually smoke around them and I do lemon oil the fretboard and give the uke a polish with Meguiars just before shipping just to knock off any smoke smell that might get around them...

From here on out I'm gonna state in my auctions that the item comes from a smoke filled home.

What to tell this cat? Four days after the auction he was messaging me here and on eBay asking "WHERE IS MY UKULELE?" lol.. and complaining about 15 dollar shipping... pfft I dunno.. looks like I picked a bad weekend to lay off the booze.

Tell him sorry, but you didn't say it was from a smoke free environment, and he didn't ask. It is his problem, not yours at this point.

that being said, baking soda? fabreese? i dunno.

I've heard it recommended somewhere here on UU that filling the uke body w/uncooked rice will absorb any such odors. Might have suggest that, but I bet a dryer sheet placed in the body for a few days would work as well.

Aloha Vic,
Tell him to put those car air freshners in the case, just clip the top of the package and put it by the headstock...leave it in the package as it could damage the finish if it contacts with the surface of the
uke...also I heard another member used rice and shaked it around and left it for a while inside the uke... I hope it helps..MM Stan

Thanks for the tip Gmoney! I was just thinking "rice"... I read that a while back but I think it was another site. Sounds like a plan. I'll wait and see if any other smoking builders chime in before I give him an answer lol.

Ahh great read Gmoney... yep I remember now it was a tip I had read from gool ole Frank Ford. Guess I'll have to be more careful about smoking around them in the future... but the dang thang sounded good and I was groovin' on it for a few nights lol.

Ozone machine at an ice rink. They are used to sanitize equipment. They'll do the same for the uke.

I think its impossible to account for every little pet peeve that people have, but
I think you need to disclose that it has been in a home where someone smokes. I'd be upset to. I don't worry about shipping costs so much because they are usually displayed in the auction. By beware on them.

Yes, it worked GREAT for me, and I got it from Frank Ford as well. Here is a tip though.....use brown rice. White rice really does a great job but leaves a bit of a white residue, which does wipe off, but that is hard to get at on a uke.

So, pour in a good amount of rice, maybe two handfulls, tape off the soundhole with painters masking tape, and shake and twist away. Gets rid of dust and other crud in there. Repeat if you feel it necessary! Also, I do a major cleaning on all my uke's with a cleaner my luthier turned me on to. Does wonders beyond anything else I have tried! PM me if you want the name of it.

Right on Thistle, I understand. That's why I said I'm gonna state in my future auctions that they come from a smoke filled home. That should keep everyone happy...

Vic,
You don't know me and I don't know you.
But I do know if you quit smoking that you, your family, friends and ukuleles would be happier and healthier.
Just sayin........
;-)

Hey, thanks for the heads up Notsogoodyet... everyone has their vices eh? Maybe one of the next few times I try to quit will stick.

I've quit smoking three times in the last year... the longest I went was about three months... they say the trick to quit smoking is keep quitting. I'll try again soon. And if anyone has any doubt... I'm hear to tell ya, tobacco is the most addictive substance on this earth. I should know, I've tried them all.

Peace, Namaste, Tutti Fruiti.

Last edited:
Poor second hand smoked out Uke.... LOL Coming from a non-smoker I'd be upset too and $18 isn't bad shipping fees. But ewwwww. :) Should have told him SRV use to jam on the uke and that's why it smells like SAD.

Hey, thanks for the heads up Notsogoodyet... everyone has their vices eh? Maybe one of the next few times I try to quit will stick.

I've quit smoking three times in the last year... the longest I went was about three months... they say the trick to quit smoking is keep quitting. I'll try again soon. And if anyone has any doubt... I'm hear to tell ya, tobacco is the most addictive substance on this earth. I should know, I've tried them all.

Peace, Namaste, Tutti Fruiti.

Yes tobacco is the devil, try to not buy them anymore and only bum them. That way it'll be the folks you bum them from that cut you off after a while. But that craving NEVER 100% goes away.... Man after a few beers! dough. Good luck Mr.

Poor second hand smoked out Uke.... LOL Coming from a non-smoker I'd be upset too and $18 isn't bad shipping fees. But ewwwww. :) Should have told him SRV use to jam on the uke and that's why it smells like SAD.

I know right... I was thinking the same thing... lol this uke was played by Keith Richards! I bet there wouldn't be any complaints if that were true...

And by the time you box a uke up with peanuts and bubble wrap and fight the traffic to get to the post office where the cranky postal lady... the materials and effort is WORTH FIVE BUCKS! Sheesh... race to the bottom we are...

Last edited:
I know right... I was thinking the same thing... lol this uke was played by Keith Richards! I bet there wouldn't be any complaints if that were true...

LMAO! :) Tell'em it's not your fault that the uke started smoking at a young age and didn't want to be a quiter.

OK I'm done... this has been an unpleasant experience. I'm gonna quit again after this pack and fumigate the house and shop... there... they win lol. Was this whole thing an subconscious quest for good advice?

Peace, Namaste, Googly Goo.

Last edited:
One of the reasons so many people get a bit huffy about shipping costs is because there are so many businesses on ebay now that get substantial discounts because they ship so much. It makes the non-commercial guys look greedy. People don't realize decent box costs $2.00 and shipping supplies cost a couple more bucks then you have the actual shipping. Who who buy and sell don't seem to gripe as much as those that just buy.

Top Bottom