Ukulele Lexicon

toyrtle

Reaction score
No hear me out on this one...

I noticed that there is a Ukulossary that talks about all the different parts of the ukulele itself.

What I would like is a Ukulele Lexicon which give descriptions on things like banjo rolls, hammering, muting, etc.

I am starting to compile all this information and was wondering if people could suggest things that should be added to it.

I want something like this because when I sit down to practice my uke I don't know what to do AND I don't even know what it is that I don't know.

Any suggestions would be great and I would make the Ukulele Lexicon freely available.

Those are mostly techniques, I suppose--there are only a few basic ones though, I mean, it doesn't seem like there would be a whole lot to say in terms of making a list of techniques. You say that you "don't know what you don't know". Well, even if you knew the names of lots of uke techniques, the point is to apply them to music. Really, I'd recommend just learning lots of songs rather than try to narrow down every detail of the techniques used to play them. Nonetheless, I suppose your standard repertoire of techniques for attacking the strings are

Basic plucking of the strings
Basic strum
Muted strum/pinky mute (see Aldrine's videos)
Hammer-ons/Pull-offs
Banjo roll
Double stops (playing two strings at once)
Rasgueado/Five-finger Rolls
Tapping

Look for songs that incorporate those techniques and learn them to master the techniques.

Thanks for that - I think its just more about having a bank of knowledge so that I could do or add those things to songs if I wanted to. You can find a song that requires hammer on - but then it doesn't necessarily mean you have to do that technique...I just get lazy and tend to do my own short cuts. But there are times when I'm just messing around and would like to practice some techniques...

Top Bottom