Custom Ukulele. Real Custom, Built in Hawaii.

Cudda_Kine

Reaction score
Would anyone know any Luthiers in Hawaii that could make me a Triple Stringed Ukulele? (12-String). All they have to do is extend the head stock so the extra tuners would fit on there and bunch the strings a little closer together. I had Mele Ukulele build me a Custom 8-String Baritone but it didn't have the sound that I've wanted from it. Planning on tuning it all separate Octaves.

Low G, Middle G, High G
Low C, Middle C, High C
Low E, Middle E, High E
Low A, Middle A, High A.

I'm going to use Fishing line for the high octave strings just like how the Tahitian Ukulele's High pitched strings.

So would anyone know any luthiers that could make this monstrosity? Serious Question.

Maybe you could ask in the UU Luthier's Forum? I imagine a few Hawai'i-based luthiers stop in and could let you know whether they'd be willing to build something like that. Be sure to use a heading that would attract their attention, like "Looking for a Hawai'i-based luthier to buoild me a special ukulele" or something like that. Good luck, and be sure to post photos of your 12-string after it gets built!

Like stan said, you'd be easier off getting a Tiple. If you really want a 12-stringer, see Cumpiano - he's made a Columbian Tiple, which is probably closer to what you're looking for, as far as number of strings, anyway. No, not built in Hawaii, but he's one of the author's of the "bible", so. . .

In Hawaii, the only guy I know that advertised Tiples is Joe Souza, but I just went to his site and I don't see any. This doesn't mean he's the only guy that builds them, though.

What you're planning, with the tuning and nylon strings, is, well. . . actually, I'm at a loss for words. If this was in the Luthier's section I'd probably expand on why, but I'm guessing you put "serious question" and posted this in Uke Talk just to start a conversation.

Seriously, to answer your question - I know more than a few luthiers in Hawaii that could build what you're asking. I don't know any that actually would.
-Aaron

So I've decided I'll be getting the 12 string Columbiano Tiple. But I've also noticed that there's another one called "Colombian tiple requinto" I think. Like this in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP1CCVAZxCE
It's a little smaller than a typical Columbian Tiple. More of an ukulele size.

Where would I be able to get this requinto version?

Maybe too late, but there are a couple of 10 string tiples on ebay right now. A Martin, a Gibson and a Japanese made one.

Thanks I've seen those but I've been thinking about getting the 12 string. Much fuller sound! I'd like to find one just like this...

musical-instrument-Columbia-tiple-requinto-MatthewVanitas.jpg

There's some on amazon.com and ebay but they are not the requinto version, which is significantly smaller. I'm going to ask Mele Ukulele if maybe they could make an imitation Columbiano Tiple Requinto from their Travel guitar body. Just needs a longer/extended Head stock to fit the 12 extra tuners. I'll be going there on the weekend hopefully so I'll ask. Thanks. Unless someone could find one that's built already. Let me know!

Thanks I've seen those but I've been thinking about getting the 12 string. Much fuller sound!

I highly doubt the a 12-string Columbian Tiple will have much fuller sound than a 10-String "American" Tiple.
In either case, both will have a completely different sound from your eight string, and play completely differently as well.

Personally, a "full" sound usually has a relationship with "range". The Tiple is decidedly "high" pitched, which is hinted to by its name anyway. Definitely a complex sound, and very hard on the fingers to play.

I'm fairly confident that you won't find any Hawaiian builders that build Columbian Tiples - then again, it appears the goals have changed?

Top Bottom