6 String logic?

iDavid

Reaction score
Getting close to ordering a 6-string and I love the sound.

However, I don't really get the logic behind the string choice. I know that Ohana and a few others are now doubling the G-string which makes more sense to me.

I assumed that a six-string would double the g and c in octaves, but this not the case.

So, what is the logic behind the standard six-string?

Just curious. Are you going to order one from Mya Moe, David?

Absolutely!

I am beyond thrilled with my tenor and plan to get a six string, resonator, and maybe a super soprano as the funds permit.

It will take a year and a half, or so.

Such a great company, great Ukes, great people, great communication.

I posted this one other time but here it is again. Kimo Hussey plays many 6 string baritones and he doubles the first two strings. He is the only person I have seen do this, and it works beautifully. Here is a picture to show you what it looks like and a link to a few songs with him playing some 6 string baritones with that configuration. It allows you to play the rhythm of the song and the melody with the top two strings at the same time. These songs are only one track straight through not over dubbed.
6 string baritone.jpg

Hey Eric, I'm also interested to know the reasoning of doubling the 1st and 3rd courses. I believe Kamaka made the first 6 string Liliu model and found this little tidbit; "The design of the tuning with octaves on the 1st and 3rd string position creates a melodic strumming quality which this model is known for."

I assume the they double octave the 1st and 3rd is because of it's full sound. I think the 1st and 2nd gives just as full of a sound but is more flexible. Maybe the Liliu model was made for only strumming in the old days whereas today there are more complex styles of playing. The main reason for doubling the first 2 is flexibility.

Absolutely!

I am beyond thrilled with my tenor and plan to get a six string, resonator, and maybe a super soprano as the funds permit.

It will take a year and a half, or so.

Such a great company, great Ukes, great people, great communication.

David, since you are having mya-moe make it why not just ask them to double the strings you want doubled. I don't see why they can't.

Ah yes, on closer inspection I see it is. I was confused by the sound hole placement (now I see the side hole) and I thought by "first two strings" you meant A and E.

I saw Kimo playing one of those Baritones last Saturday night at the Lone Star Fest. Very, very nice - it sounds like he may have been doing this awhile. As a matter of fact, I have never seen so many 6-strings in one place before. I got to talk to a couple of the other performers about their preferences as well.

Just as I was about to start the 6 string set project (friend Danny), now this comes along. 17" scale - 20" scale - double 1 & 2 - double 1 & 3? Octaves, unisons, maybe all of the above? My, my!

I came across this:
It was Sam Kamaka, Jr. who invented the 6 string Lili'u (named after Queen Lili'uokalani) in 1959, in celebration of Hawaii's statehood.

I had heard that it was to provide a fuller sound for strumming.

I saw Kimo playing one of those Baritones last Saturday night at the Lone Star Fest. Very, very nice - it sounds like he may have been doing this awhile. As a matter of fact, I have never seen so many 6-strings in one place before. I got to talk to a couple of the other performers about their preferences as well.

Just as I was about to start the 6 string set project (friend Danny), now this comes along. 17" scale - 20" scale - double 1 & 2 - double 1 & 3? Octaves, unisons, maybe all of the above? My, my!

That was Ziricote and cedar Baritone I did for him a couple years ago. Sounds like the show was a hit. wish I could have been there.

I came across this:
It was Sam Kamaka, Jr. who invented the 6 string Lili'u (named after Queen Lili'uokalani) in 1959, in celebration of Hawaii's statehood.

I had heard that it was to provide a fuller sound for strumming.
Go to the Historic Uke Gallery of the Kamaka site and they show a 6 string prototype Liliu built by Sam Sr in the mid 1950's. I think Sam Jr redesigned not invented the Liliu just for the 1959 commemoration of Hawai'i statehood. Kamaka has since made it a production model.

Top Bottom