Jethro Tull "Bungle In The Jungle"

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
I've mentioned before that one of my all-time favorite bands is Jethro Tull. Particularly the 1971-79 lineups. I've seen them seven or eight times live. This is NOT one of my favorite Tull songs, but it's one that I thought might work well enough on ukulele. It's also probably the first Tull song I remember hearing, since it got a lot of radio play when I was 9 or 10 years old (ouch! Sorry Ian!).

I borrowed a couple of sock monkeys from my wife's (extensive) collection as "extras" for the video. And I wore my "40th Anniversary Tour" shirt, from the last time I saw them. Played on my Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple (how could you NOT play this on a pineapple???).

And, man, is that E chord a Bee-YOTCH!

Nice job, Chris . . . big Tull fan, too. Bungle in the Jungle was, indeed, a huge hit in 1974, but is really one of the weaker songs on Warchild, which is an otherwise decent album. You're right, though, Tull's output between 1971 and 1979 was brilliant and those lineups - particularly when the band included Barrie Barlow, John Evans, Jeffrey Hammond and David Palmer -were my favorite. It used to be fun waiting for a new Jethro Tull album to come out every year and during those nine or 10 years, Ian Anderson rarely disappointed.

Thanks!
Unfortunately, I've only seen films from that period. The first time I saw them was in '82 on the "Broadsword" tour. I saw them in '82, '84, '87, '88, '89, '93, '96, and '08. Always great shows. But '70s stuff was the best. I particularly like "Songs From the Wood", "Heavy Horses" (probably my favorite Tull album) and "Stormwatch".

I thought briefly about doing this standing on one leg, but my balance isn't what it used to be!

Good job. With Tull, you have to make some compromises between your favorite songs and what will be feasible. Not just feasible to play, but feasible to figure out in the first place what you should be playing. Especially if you don't have sheet music to figure out the complicated arrangements. The two I play most are "Song for Jeffrey" and "Witches Promise". And I've still never tried to play either one to an audience.

Ooh! "Witches Promise" would be cool. I used to mess with "Heavy Horses", "Wond'ring Aloud" and "Nursie" in college when I was playing a lot of acoustic guitar. They weren't "audience-ready" though. Not that ANYTHING I played on guitar really was...

To see how you could NOT play this on a pineapple watch fellow member Bradlands version on a baritone.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theBradlands#p/u/30/N9QMUHWluGk

Conveniently this the up next selection. I saw Tull in the Spectrum in Philly probably around '70 or '71. For some reason my memory of this time period is a little hazy but I think they were touring behind Aqualung.

To see how you could NOT play this on a pineapple watch fellow member Bradlands version on a baritone.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theBradlands#p/u/30/N9QMUHWluGk

Conveniently this the up next selection. I saw Tull in the Spectrum in Philly probably around '70 or '71. For some reason my memory of this time period is a little hazy but I think they were touring behind Aqualung.

Now that you mention it, I did see Bradlands' baritone version a while back. He can be excused, but only if he doesn't actually OWN a pineapple!

Good job on the performance!

I want your home's paint job. I wouldn't need to hang a greenscreen for my videos. The whole wall is a greenscreen!

Good job on the performance!

I want your home's paint job. I wouldn't need to hang a greenscreen for my videos. The whole wall is a greenscreen!

Thanks! That "room" is a large, sunny landing at the top of our stairs. It was one of the big selling points for me when we bought the house 16 years ago. It faces south and gets the morning sun. The cat loves it! We decided to paint it a bright color a few years back, although I have to admit, the green didn't look the same on the wall as it did on the sample card! I like it though. I don't spend as much time up there as my wife does, but it's a nice place to have tea (even though I usually have mine at the computer....).

Top Bottom