PDA

View Full Version : No uking for a while..

tjomball
04-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Guess it's a uke hiatus for me.
Last night a moron broke my finger.
Glad I blocked. Otherwise the full beer glass would be smashed over my head. I can live with the finger being snapped. What really gets me is the loss of income. I'm out between 6000-7000 usd.
Shit happens..

Chris Tarman
04-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Oh man, I am so sorry to hear that! That's always one of my big fears. I've been very protective of my fingers since I started playing bass 30 years ago (I don't like getting stuff on my hands either, to the point of being border-line OCD about hand-washing, but that's another story...). I've never worried too much about having someone deliberately break them, although I guess in my line of work, it's a distinct possibility. I'm more likely to break them in a bicycle crash.

I hope it heals quickly and cleanly so you can get back at it as soon as possible.

mrjewkulele
04-10-2011, 11:47 AM
if your finger is broken, then how are you writing this?

mds725
04-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your finger. I don't know what the law is in Norway, but in the US you could file a police report for battery when someone attacks you with a beer glass, and you could sue for lost income. I know your top priority iws getting your finger healed, but it's a thought.

tjomball
04-10-2011, 12:32 PM
if your finger is broken, then how are you writing this?

One handed typing.. ;) I'm a computergeek so the onehanded typing is a non issue..

mds725 Police report will be filed tomorrow. As well as a lawsuit for lost income.

Chris Are you a mountainbiker like myself?

Chris Tarman
04-10-2011, 01:11 PM
One handed typing.. ;) I'm a computergeek so the onehanded typing is a non issue..

mds725 Police report will be filed tomorrow. As well as a lawsuit for lost income.

Chris Are you a mountainbiker like myself?

Well, I HAVE a mountain bike, but mostly I'm a roadie. I'm hardly fast though. I like to do loaded touring, but it's hard to do a REAL tour because of work. I try to do a 3-4 day tour every year though. Five years ago, I did a 10 day 520 mile tour in Colorado, with 5 passes over 10,000 feet. It was hard! When I retire (in 9 years and 1 month), I want to ride across the U.S. We'll see...

Viola Harpstrings
04-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Wow, that stinks. Sorry to hear that.May you heal quickly, and return to playing. I have not played my uke in over a week because of a wrist injury. I'm really getting fed up with these uke withdrawals. Seeing the clinician Tuesday, hoping for a release to play again. I can't wait.
Good luck!

itsme
04-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Ouch! Some years ago I had a mishap that sliced some tendons in my hand and required surgery and many months of therapy. I know all about one-handed typing.

I don't know anything about laws in Norway, but in the U.S. there are what are commonly referred to as dram shop laws where the owner/proprietor of an establishment that serves alcohol can be held legally liable for damages caused by an intoxicated patron they served.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dram_shop

sukie
04-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Sorry about that. Glad that was all that happened. Your finger will heal.

ItsMrPitchy
04-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Sorry about that and get better quickly. I really hope you get compensation for this.

Skitzic
04-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Which finger is it? duct tape a leather pick to the cast and go nuts!

Viola Harpstrings
04-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Well, the clinician told me today I can uke away. I lasted 15 minutes, now I am sore. But at least, by god,I can still play, well sort of.

philpot
04-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Sorry to hear that :( I'm deathly afraid of something happening to my hands xD losing a finger or some such thing... t'would be traumatic...

velofille
04-12-2011, 04:18 PM
yeouch thats not cool! what an aweful thing to happen.

I guess you could practice either strumming or chord changes with the good hand, but that would be horrifically annoying :/

Maiyah888
04-13-2011, 08:15 AM
Feel better soon!

mm stan
04-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Aloha Tjomball,
Hope it heals quickly so you can play you uke and get back to work.....

Teek
04-13-2011, 09:47 PM
I am sorry to hear this, I know your pain. Is it a knuckle break or a bone? A bone should heal pretty well. A knuckle is tough, the joint is so complex and cartilage is delicate. I'd say get some supplements for joints: MSM, Chondroitin, Glucosamine. Probably a balanced calcium supplement and antioxidants and omega 3s I think it is. Also cherries, blueberries and strawberries are natural anti inflamatories and pain fighters. I hope you get some good news on financial recompense and find a way to turn the downtime into something else useful. Sometimes the bad stuff opens doors to new things, if you at least get some insight it's not a total loss. If it's a fretting finger, stick a glass slide on one that works and use that to develop your slide skills! Be creative, there have to be ways you can play to some extent, and it will help you heal and keep stress down.

I empathize because I broke a hand that also crushed three knuckles a bit, and a first knuckle on my ring finger; vertebrae in my back and also destroyed my ACL in my knee, and popped a rib and ripped a 2x2x1 inch hole in my forearm to the bone (MTB crash, 18 stitches). The broken hand I could not put in my pocket for three months but it's fine overall, the finger is bent forever but still works. The back is a problem, as is the knee, it throws the whole body off. The arm is also fine, I was lucky it missed nerves and vessels. I got no compensation for anything, only got surgery for the knee and stitches in the arm. But it all healed up enough to keep on truckin'. So my last 15 years were the big use it up wear it out years, lol! All of us animals on this world are delicate creatures that squish easy. Be careful out there!

I could add maybe change bars and take some aikido classes?

Dryad
04-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Five years ago, I did a 10 day 520 mile tour in Colorado, with 5 passes over 10,000 feet.

I see this all of the time. Boggles my mind. I'll hike fourteeners, but cycling over our passes? No way! *lol* I have a trike, and she is purely for semi-hilly terrain. ^.~

I hope your finger heals fast tjomball.

bunnyrawr
04-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Which finger is it? duct tape a leather pick to the cast and go nuts!

You are awesome :D

tainauke
04-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Ouch!!! Hope you heal soon.

I do have a question, though not uke related.
You talk about income loss... I don't quite understand... I live in France and if you hurt yourself or are sick and it lasts over 3 days, you still receive your salary... Isn't the same way in Norway???

Skitzic
04-14-2011, 02:57 AM
Ouch!!! Hope you heal soon.

I do have a question, though not uke related.
You talk about income loss... I don't quite understand... I live in France and if you hurt yourself or are sick and it lasts over 3 days, you still receive your salary... Isn't the same way in Norway???

France is fancy. Here in the USA you need to have short term disability insurance because you don't get paid if you can't work.

Skottoman
04-14-2011, 06:28 AM
I'm sorry to hear about that. Hope you heal up fast!
What exactly happened to have someone swinging a full beer mug at you?!

Cheers,
Skottoman

tjomball
04-21-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm self employed. So whatever happens I'm out a s...load of cash. Got a whole lotta work can't really work at full capacity so it's no point keeping my collegue waiting. On the plus side the Kosovo Albanians are happy being hired in to catch up the slack..

Injury sustained. Crushed joint. Multiple complicated fractures.

Someone suggested aikido. I do Kali, Karate, Kickboxing and Kendo. Training and instant response is the only reason he didn't land it right in my temple.

Changing bars was suggested. Well thats what happens when you visit your moms fave dive.. :D The bar I went to unfortunately hosts a jam session every week. It's a shame they won't be getting me to play there..

Dammit. I'm sticking to biker and rocker bars where it's safe.. :D

tjomball
05-11-2011, 09:22 AM
I just thought I'd give ya a little update on my finger.
Turns out I have some nerve damage in my finger..
Every time I hold something in my hand it feels like I'm missing half my finger. Which I don't, Then there's the issue of not being able to bend my finger. Oh well shit happens..

mds725
05-11-2011, 09:38 AM
I just thought I'd give ya a little update on my finger.
Turns out I have some nerve damage in my finger..
Every time I hold something in my hand it feels like I'm missing half my finger. Which I don't, Then there's the issue of not being able to bend my finger. Oh well shit happens..

Give it time. I've broken fingers before and the part of the healing process where the finger has to be immobilizedis only the beginning. Once the bone is healed and the splint or cast comes off, the finger should be stiff and weak. It may take a while, at least several weeks and possibly longer, before it begins to feel normal again. My healed fingers are fine most of the time, with only minor loss of range of motion. They get a little achy when it rains.

velofille
05-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Yep, im with the above post. Nerve damage may take years to heal, but it does heal. I used to have no feeling in one of my fingers after slicing through it, but its come back over years :)
There is a lady at my ukulele group who has no use on one of her fingers, so we find others ways for her to do chords

Ukuleleblues
05-13-2011, 01:30 AM
Yep, im with the above post. Nerve damage may take years to heal, but it does heal. I used to have no feeling in one of my fingers after slicing through it, but its come back over years :)
There is a lady at my ukulele group who has no use on one of her fingers, so we find others ways for her to do chordsI didn't know that I almost cut off my thumb on my fretting hand and it still is kind of numb after about 10 months. Hurts when it is cold out....so I have hope now!!

luvdat
05-13-2011, 01:42 AM
First, give yourself time to heal and sorry for what happened.

Second, inspiration. Though he wasn't a uker but a guitarist, check out the bio of Django Reinhardt.

mendel
05-13-2011, 02:17 AM
I almost severed my thumb on my left hand in an unfortunate cheese slicing incident back in the deep Floridian winter of '07. To compound this, I broke my left pinky on the left hand right on the knuckle, snapped a tendon, and developed what is known as a boutineire deformity. I spent about a year in finger splints and Occupational Therapy in order to get range of motion and control back in it. On my right hand, I snapped my middle finger in college wrestling so badly that I almost had to have the tip of my middle finger amputated... that would have seriously hindered my ability to express myself while driving. The point is, in time, and with willingness to adapt to your new limitations, you will be able to recover and play your Uke. Just change your style and relearn how to play. You'll be fine. That is how athletes do things after a catastrophic injury.

tjomball
01-21-2012, 05:45 AM
A little update.

Now several months later the nerve damage seems to have lessened to a degree. But still pretty banged up.
I can now hold down a string with my left pinky.. :D YAY..
Still hurts like a mothertrucker. But atleast I can still uke and hold onto my handlebars.. ;)
I got back aproximately 85% movement back in my pinky.
Still have difficulty doing climbing. But it's getting there gradually.
And I will get my day in the courts and get a little compensation for damages and loss of income.
So a new uke it is.. ;)

Mahalo for the well wishes and happy strummings to you all..

With regards from
Tor-Arne

mds725
01-21-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm glad to hear that your finger continues to get closer to what it was like before you broke it. it may never be quite the same, but I think over time we adapt. I'd recommend buying one of these finger grip things (http://www.amazon.com/Gripmaster-Exerciser-Medium-Tension-7-Pounds/dp/B0006GC5D8) that isolates each finger, if you don't already have one, so you can focus finger strength work on the injured finger. (If you use something that involves all your fingers at once, your healthy fingers will "cover" for your weak one.)

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26173&d=1311805704

Give it time. I've broken fingers before and the part of the healing process where the finger has to be immobilizedis only the beginning. Once the bone is healed and the splint or cast comes off, the finger should be stiff and weak. It may take a while, at least several weeks and possibly longer, before it begins to feel normal again. My healed fingers are fine most of the time, with only minor loss of range of motion. They get a little achy when it rains.

I normally don't quote myself in a forum post, but I just reread this and was struck by a bit of irony -- three months after writing this, I broke the tip of the middle finger of my strumming (right) hand in a bicycle accident. Almost five months after the injury, my finger is just now beginning to feel somewhat normal again, although I still have less range of motion than before, and the finger healed at a slight angle, so my brain is still getting used to that. My brain adapted while I was healing by designating middle finger tasks to my ring finger. I'm still relearing how to involve my middle finger when I pluck instead of strum. My ring finger apparently doesn't want to give up its recently acquired responsibilities.

ricdoug
01-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Start experimenting with open tunings, so you only need one or two fingers to play songs. Be the Django! Ric

tjomball
01-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Mds.. Cheers for the tip. I'll get one ASAP. It's long overdue. Sorry to hear you broke your finger. AGAIN.. But we should both be back to normal soon.. Or as back to normal as is possible.. ;)
But you can't help but be amazed at how quickly we adapt to new circumstances like breaking our fingers..

Ric. Be Django sounds like a great idea. Now I only gotta figure out which tunings to use.. ;)