No uking for a while..

tjomball

Reaction score
Guess it's a uke hiatus for me.
Last night a moron broke my finger.
Glad I blocked. Otherwise the full beer glass would be smashed over my head. I can live with the finger being snapped. What really gets me is the loss of income. I'm out between 6000-7000 usd.
s** happens..

Oh man, I am so sorry to hear that! That's always one of my big fears. I've been very protective of my fingers since I started playing bass 30 years ago (I don't like getting stuff on my hands either, to the point of being border-line OCD about hand-washing, but that's another story...). I've never worried too much about having someone deliberately break them, although I guess in my line of work, it's a distinct possibility. I'm more likely to break them in a bicycle crash.

I hope it heals quickly and cleanly so you can get back at it as soon as possible.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your finger. I don't know what the law is in Norway, but in the US you could file a police report for battery when someone attacks you with a beer glass, and you could sue for lost income. I know your top priority iws getting your finger healed, but it's a thought.

if your finger is broken, then how are you writing this?

One handed typing.. ;) I'm a computergeek so the onehanded typing is a non issue..

mds725 Police report will be filed tomorrow. As well as a lawsuit for lost income.

Chris Are you a mountainbiker like myself?

One handed typing.. ;) I'm a computergeek so the onehanded typing is a non issue..

mds725 Police report will be filed tomorrow. As well as a lawsuit for lost income.

Chris Are you a mountainbiker like myself?

Well, I HAVE a mountain bike, but mostly I'm a roadie. I'm hardly fast though. I like to do loaded touring, but it's hard to do a REAL tour because of work. I try to do a 3-4 day tour every year though. Five years ago, I did a 10 day 520 mile tour in Colorado, with 5 passes over 10,000 feet. It was hard! When I retire (in 9 years and 1 month), I want to ride across the U.S. We'll see...

Wow, that stinks. Sorry to hear that.May you heal quickly, and return to playing. I have not played my uke in over a week because of a wrist injury. I'm really getting fed up with these uke withdrawals. Seeing the clinician Tuesday, hoping for a release to play again. I can't wait.
Good luck!

Ouch! Some years ago I had a mishap that sliced some tendons in my hand and required surgery and many months of therapy. I know all about one-handed typing.

I don't know anything about laws in Norway, but in the U.S. there are what are commonly referred to as dram shop laws where the owner/proprietor of an establishment that serves alcohol can be held legally liable for damages caused by an intoxicated patron they served.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dram_shop

Sorry about that. Glad that was all that happened. Your finger will heal.

Sorry about that and get better quickly. I really hope you get compensation for this.

Which finger is it? duct tape a leather pick to the cast and go nuts!

Well, the clinician told me today I can uke away. I lasted 15 minutes, now I am sore. But at least, by god,I can still play, well sort of.

Sorry to hear that :( I'm deathly afraid of something happening to my hands xD losing a finger or some such thing... t'would be traumatic...

Feel better soon!

I am sorry to hear this, I know your pain. Is it a knuckle break or a bone? A bone should heal pretty well. A knuckle is tough, the joint is so complex and cartilage is delicate. I'd say get some supplements for joints: MSM, Chondroitin, Glucosamine. Probably a balanced calcium supplement and antioxidants and omega 3s I think it is. Also cherries, blueberries and strawberries are natural anti inflamatories and pain fighters. I hope you get some good news on financial recompense and find a way to turn the downtime into something else useful. Sometimes the bad stuff opens doors to new things, if you at least get some insight it's not a total loss. If it's a fretting finger, stick a glass slide on one that works and use that to develop your slide skills! Be creative, there have to be ways you can play to some extent, and it will help you heal and keep stress down.

I empathize because I broke a hand that also crushed three knuckles a bit, and a first knuckle on my ring finger; vertebrae in my back and also destroyed my ACL in my knee, and popped a rib and ripped a 2x2x1 inch hole in my forearm to the bone (MTB crash, 18 stitches). The broken hand I could not put in my pocket for three months but it's fine overall, the finger is bent forever but still works. The back is a problem, as is the knee, it throws the whole body off. The arm is also fine, I was lucky it missed nerves and vessels. I got no compensation for anything, only got surgery for the knee and stitches in the arm. But it all healed up enough to keep on truckin'. So my last 15 years were the big use it up wear it out years, lol! All of us animals on this world are delicate creatures that squish easy. Be careful out there!

I could add maybe change bars and take some aikido classes?

Five years ago, I did a 10 day 520 mile tour in Colorado, with 5 passes over 10,000 feet.

I see this all of the time. Boggles my mind. I'll hike fourteeners, but cycling over our passes? No way! *lol* I have a trike, and she is purely for semi-hilly terrain. ^.~

I hope your finger heals fast tjomball.

Ouch!!! Hope you heal soon.

I do have a question, though not uke related.
You talk about income loss... I don't quite understand... I live in France and if you hurt yourself or are sick and it lasts over 3 days, you still receive your salary... Isn't the same way in Norway???

Top Bottom