PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Kamaka Concert

philpot
04-10-2011, 11:28 AM
I realize that most people are not in a hurry to give up their K brands, but on the off chance that this might get me somewhere, I am in the market for a Kamaka Concert uke. Preferably newish (meaning not white label), because something about that headstock inlay just gets to me ^.^ however I wouldn't be totally against an older one either. If you have one that you want to sell, please let me know :) pictures and a sound sample would be great. Also, not to suggest that someone else do my work or anything (heh :p) but if you happened to see one for sale it would absolutely be fantabulous if you would let me know. Thanks again! :D

Phil

mangorockfish
04-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Gryphon Strings has a 1997 for sale that has some really nice wood. The fretboard and nut look well used, but it looks nice. Good luck.

janeray1940
04-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Hey Phil, seeing your post made me smile :) Wish I had one to sell. Actually, I wish you had won that one on eBay! Best of luck with the search. I'll definitely let you know if one comes up locally.

Uncle Leroy
04-10-2011, 12:14 PM
I will keep my eyes open as well. Thing is, when you find em' at a good price they don't last long. Good luck in the quest.

philpot
04-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Gryphon Strings has a 1997 for sale that has some really nice wood. The fretboard and nut look well used, but it looks nice. Good luck.

I saw that, and I am very tempted by it :P the wood is gorgeous... but does it look like there is a little separation in between the two halves of the top? it looks a little too noticeable to me...

philpot
04-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Hey Phil, seeing your post made me smile :) Wish I had one to sell. Actually, I wish you had won that one on eBay! Best of luck with the search. I'll definitely let you know if one comes up locally.

Haha well I'm glad to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel ^.^ yes, the one on ebay was nice, but its already gone up past what I think its worth. If I was going to spend that much, I would save a bit more and get this gorgeous concert from Mandolin Brothers... http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/Kamaka-HF-2+Concert/912.aspx#
If I could have any concert I've ever seen, that would be it.

philpot
04-10-2011, 12:57 PM
I will keep my eyes open as well. Thing is, when you find em' at a good price they don't last long. Good luck in the quest.

thats the trouble I have :p so I'm hoping one magically pops up now that I'm ready to get one ;)

mm stan
04-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Aloha Philpot,
In hawaii craigslist, very rarely about 1-2 times a year we some Kamaka concerts go for 500-600 dollars..well used to be 500.00 maybe not now....good luck in your search....but a new one always sounds nice..
Happy Strummings..MM Stan

philpot
04-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Aloha Philpot,
In hawaii craigslist, very rarely about 1-2 times a year we some Kamaka concerts go for 500-600 dollars..well used to be 500.00 maybe not now....good luck in your search....but a new one always sounds nice..
Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Before I could afford it, I saw one go for 500 on the orange county craigslist, and one for 600 in seattle. my heart broke a little.

ukunuke
04-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Good luck to you! I was smiling reading this - I just decided to suck it up and bought mine a couple months ago online. It's not the sexiest looking uke on the planet, but it just gets better and better each time I play it (I think it's opening up - certainly isn't my playing!). I'll keep an eye out for you, too.

pdxuke
04-10-2011, 04:39 PM
I understand your desire for one: I think my Kamaka concert is my favorite uke. I would be willing, however, to sell it to you for $10,000.

(Seriously--will keep my eye out. Good luck!)

philpot
04-10-2011, 04:41 PM
I understand your desire for one: I think my Kamaka concert is my favorite uke. I would be willing, however, to sell it to you for $10,000.

(Seriously--will keep my eye out. Good luck!)

Thats about as good of a deal as the "unused" white label concert (complete with self admitted scratches on the body) that just showed up on ebay with a starting bid of 800 bucks ;)

AzMichael
04-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Acoustic Vibes has a couple...

http://www.acousticvibesmusic.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=170_191&products_id=1292

~Michael

philpot
04-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Acoustic Vibes has a couple...

http://www.acousticvibesmusic.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=170_191&products_id=1292

~Michael

I'm looking more in the used market, its more in my price range. Like I said, if I could afford a new one I'd buy the gorgeous one from Mandolin Bros. :drool: thanks though :D

erivel
04-10-2011, 07:07 PM
philpot,

Good luck with your search! I just wanted to say that I recently bought a Kamaka HF-3 Tenor through Mandolin Brothers and had a great experience with them. It's hard to drop that much money on a uke sight unseen. But everyone I spoke with there was extremely helpful and super friendly and they have a three day approval period. I couldn't recommend these guys enough. BTW the one in the link you provided is gorgeous!

guitharsis
04-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Haha well I'm glad to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel ^.^ yes, the one on ebay was nice, but its already gone up past what I think its worth. If I was going to spend that much, I would save a bit more and get this gorgeous concert from Mandolin Brothers... http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/Kamaka-HF-2+Concert/912.aspx#
If I could have any concert I've ever seen, that would be it.

This one really is gorgeous.

philpot
04-11-2011, 12:10 PM
I received a reply from Gryphon about the 1997 HF-2 they have. There is apparently a "repaired" top separation, between the two halves of the top that seems very noticeable... he said there is an indentation about 5/8ths of an inch long on the lower left part of the body, and a top deflection in front of the bridge. Give me some advice here, cuz this seems like rather big stuff. Its a decent price, and I really like the wood on it, but is it worth it with those issues?

Ronnie Aloha
04-11-2011, 01:28 PM
I'd hold out myself.

janeray1940
04-11-2011, 01:29 PM
I'd hold out myself.

Second that.

philpot
04-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Alright :) thanks guys :D this forum is so helpful. I can only hope my dream uke falls into my lap when the time is right...

janeray1940
04-12-2011, 04:38 AM
Did you see this? http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/2318679518.html

Maybe one of the UU locals could check it out for you...

philpot
04-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Did you see this? http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/2318679518.html

Maybe one of the UU locals could check it out for you...

I did see that, and I sent (several) emails the past couple times he's posted it at 600. never received a response... MM Stan sent me the link, but his personal opinion was that I should pass on it :P

Also, I asked many questions about the one at Gryphon, and the responses made me less inclined to get it. The top has been repaired along the seam, the deflection is "more than I'm used to seeing" according to whoever I am corresponding with, and he mentioned it may have been "baked" (I assume he means totally dried out) at some point in time, which may be the cause of both of the issues on the top. I think I'll pass :p

janeray1940
04-12-2011, 08:44 AM
I think I'll pass :p

Better to hold out for "the one," I think. Good things come to those who wait, etc... :)

philpot
04-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Better to hold out for "the one," I think. Good things come to those who wait, etc... :)

Yup :) If I get a job soon (heres hoping) I may just go for that new one at Mandolin Bros.! So theres always that possibility. No worries there, but a bit more pricey.

philpot
04-13-2011, 02:17 AM
Still looking :p threw in a bid through a snipe service on the Tiki Top concert that was on ebay, on the off chance that I would get a good deal on it (it was at 499.99 with 0 bids.) and... got outbid by 5 bucks xD I guess somebody else had a snipe in, and it was above mine so it landed one bid increment above it. oh well. I just keep hoping the perfect one will come along!

Canoe Lady
04-13-2011, 05:39 AM
I am a believer also that when the time is right, the right uke will find you.
This is how I have always gotten dogs too...it just happens when it is supposed to.
Patience.

philpot
04-13-2011, 08:33 AM
I am a believer also that when the time is right, the right uke will find you.
This is how I have always gotten dogs too...it just happens when it is supposed to.
Patience.

Thats what I'm hoping happens :) thanks for the encouraging word.

philpot
04-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Still looking and hoping :)

philpot
04-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Still looking... If I can't find one soon, I may sell an art piece in a few weeks which would put me dangerously close to being able to afford that beauty from Mandolin Brothers... considering its the same price (give or take a bit) plus shipping as a new one from Kamaka, and I already love the wood I think it would be a pretty safe bet. But I would still love to get one for less ;)

janeray1940
04-15-2011, 04:05 PM
I already love the wood I think it would be a pretty safe bet.

I think so too - it's a real looker, that's for sure. I bought two of mine sight-unseen/sound-unheard except for pics on the web, and I was not disappointed either time. I don't think you can go wrong.

philpot
04-15-2011, 04:24 PM
I think so too - it's a real looker, that's for sure. I bought two of mine sight-unseen/sound-unheard except for pics on the web, and I was not disappointed either time. I don't think you can go wrong.

I don't think I can either :) it just makes me a bit queasy to think of spending almost 900 bucks on a little piece of wood xD it's worth it to me, no doubt, but its still... yeah :p

hmgberg
04-15-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't know whether you have seen this one: http://www.gbase.com/gear/kamaka-hf-2-concert-ukulele-2004-koa#

The koa is ridiculously curly. There is a small repaired crack on the top, below the bridge. It's $595.00. I already have a Kamaka Concert (unlike Jane, I don't play low G, so I don't need another one); still, I am tempted by this one.

janeray1940
04-15-2011, 07:06 PM
(unlike Jane, I don't play low G, so I don't need another one)

I didn't think I played low G either :) I'm starting to like it more and more.

That is one seriously pretty uke. I know next to nothing about repairs - would that crack be problematic other than aesthetically? If not - Phil, this might be the one!

pdxuke
04-15-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't know whether you have seen this one: http://www.gbase.com/gear/kamaka-hf-2-concert-ukulele-2004-koa#

The koa is ridiculously curly. There is a small repaired crack on the top, below the bridge. It's $595.00. I already have a Kamaka Concert (unlike Jane, I don't play low G, so I don't need another one); still, I am tempted by this one.

I don't like the look of the back; it may be just the photo, but it looks like the seam is opening in the middle :-(

hmgberg
04-16-2011, 02:48 AM
I didn't think I played low G either :) I'm starting to like it more and more.

That is one seriously pretty uke. I know next to nothing about repairs - would that crack be problematic other than aesthetically? If not - Phil, this might be the one!

Jane, don't get me started ...I mean, don't get me started playing low G; I'll need two of everything. My wife would kill me, dead. Then she'd sell my ukes.

hmgberg
04-16-2011, 02:58 AM
I don't like the look of the back; it may be just the photo, but it looks like the seam is opening in the middle :-(

I saw that circle in the photo, but thought it was something else. If you keep enlarging the photos, it seems it is a scratch or crack running against the grain. However, you may be right, Thom. The text indicates the top crack is repaired. Were I philpot, I'd at least call Lark Street and have them describe the problem.

philpot
04-16-2011, 04:02 AM
I have seen that one actually, and asked about repaired hairline cracks on here... the overwhelming response seemed to be that I should avoid it :p I would still consider that one, I just want to feel good about the purchase.

Yes, what they have circled on the back looks to be a scratch running against the grain. Now that I look at the other pictures closely, it does sort of look like there is some separation in the back. I think I will call them and ask about it :)

*edit* they're closed on Saturdays xD I sent them an email about it. I emailed them once before when the only pictures up were the first set of three, and I was making sure it was a photo of the actual one they had in stock. Can't be too careful you know ;) they replied fast, so we'll see.

Doc_J
04-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Maybe they will go lower than $595. After all it has repair cracks and they are very visable.
I'm not sure what a good price is for a Kamaka concert with multiple cracks. But $600 seems high.
Seems a perfect used Kamaka concert could be easily had for around $700 (+/- $50).

philpot
04-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Maybe they will go lower than $595. After all it has repair cracks and they are very visable.
I'm not sure what a good price is for a Kamaka concert with multiple cracks. But $600 seems high.
Seems a perfect used Kamaka concert could be easily had for around $700 (+/- $50).

I was going to offer 500 and see what they come back with. Considering they've had it for months, they might be open to a little price flexibility ;)

janeray1940
04-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Both of my mint-condition 2008 Kamaka concerts came to me for under $600. One was an eBay auction, the other was found on Craigslist, both within a matter of months. But neither one is much of a looker - both are very plain, which I think helps keep the price down.

The one with the cracks is a lot "prettier" than either of mine, so I can see why they are hoping to get so much for it. Still seems a little steep to me.

philpot
04-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Both of my mint-condition 2008 Kamaka concerts came to me for under $600. One was an eBay auction, the other was found on Craigslist, both within a matter of months. But neither one is much of a looker - both are very plain, which I think helps keep the price down.

The one with the cracks is a lot "prettier" than either of mine, so I can see why they are hoping to get so much for it. Still seems a little steep to me.

As far as I can tell the one on the back is a scratch, it doesn't quite look like a crack to me... but yes, I believe I will offer less and see what happens. I'll have to see what happens from there... I really like this one, and if I can get it for a good price... We'll see ^.^

philpot
04-17-2011, 02:41 PM
So... I'm totally ordering my concert tomorrow (contingent on my price negotiations.) I'll leave which one for sure as a surprise until I get it in the mail ;P

hmgberg
04-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Great! Let us know.

haolejohn
04-17-2011, 04:25 PM
don't worry about the repaired crack. My best sounding ukulele ever had two repaired cracks on the back.

janeray1940
04-17-2011, 04:40 PM
So... I'm totally ordering my concert tomorrow (contingent on my price negotiations.) I'll leave which one for sure as a surprise until I get it in the mail ;P

Woo hoo! Looking forward to seeing what you get.

philpot
04-17-2011, 05:14 PM
don't worry about the repaired crack. My best sounding ukulele ever had two repaired cracks on the back.

Good to know. Thanks a lot for the input. And thanks everyone for the help :D I hope I can get the one I'm looking at for the price I want, and hopefully it will be on my doorstep soon ^.^

philpot
04-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Ukulele ordered!! Mods can close this now :) I should have it by Wednesday!! Lets hope I like it so I dont have to pay shipping both ways to send it back... Ill post details when it comes, but if its what I think, I got a GREAT deal on it.