Ukulele or Acoustic?

pakiboy949

Reaction score
So for the past month I've been wanting to purchase an acoustic guitar, but I came into some trouble today.

I went to a "hole in the wall" music shop today and started playing with the acoustics and the ukuleles. The ukuleles sounds/feels 20 x's better than the current ukulele I own right now, but I've always wanted to learn the acoustic, what would you guys go with?

P.S. The ukulele was a $300 kala kte tenor ukulele.

hmm tricky, you could buy a very cheap acoustic to just learn on and then after a month you could have saved the money u spent and buy the uke?

You're the only one who can answer that question. How much do you want to also learn the guitar?

For some folks, it's "Ukulele über alles" and and they'll sneer at all other stringed instruments.

For me, it's the music and I get whatever tools allow me to play what I want.

I don't know what your budget is but you can get a very decent Yamaha Eterna with a laminated spruce-top for $140 and a solid top for $200 (assuming you want steel strings). You could probably also stretch your dollar if you buy used but, unless you know what you're looking for and how to check a guitar for flaws, I recommend that you have someone accompany you to evaluate the instrument. You won't be covered by a return policy or a warranty.

So for the past month I've been wanting to purchase an acoustic guitar, but I came into some trouble today.

I went to a "hole in the wall" music shop today and started playing with the acoustics and the ukuleles. The ukuleles sounds/feels 20 x's better than the current ukulele I own right now, but I've always wanted to learn the acoustic, what would you guys go with?

P.S. The ukulele was a $300 kala kte tenor ukulele.

If you really want to learn to play the guitar, pick up a real cheap one to learn on. Then when you get better you can save up and invest in a nice guitar. How are the musical instruments in the pawnshops in your area? I've had some good luck with pawn shops in the past. You can find some decent guitars for really cheap. probably as low as 40-50 bucks.

But really, go with the ukulele. This is after all ukulele underground!

I agree that's it's a question only you can answer. I bought an acoustic guitar for like $600 maybe 8 years ago with the intention of learning it. I ended up touching it maybe 3 times. I still have it. And it still sits in its gig-bag. I picked up the ukulele last year and not one day has gone by without a uke in my hands.

I agree that's it's a question only you can answer. I bought an acoustic guitar for like $600 maybe 8 years ago with the intention of learning it. I ended up touching it maybe 3 times. I still have it. And it still sits in its gig-bag. I picked up the ukulele last year and not one day has gone by without a uke in my hands.

oh i had that feeling. i picked up a $300 guitar and played with it for about a month... probly because i got myself a new uke. but playing guitar is much harder than the uke, so you will eventually feel discouraged. i know i did. so if you really want to play the guitar, you should be determined to stick with it. im not saying you should give up the ukulele, but just try to make your money's worth if you do buy the guitar. i only touch my guitar once every couple months at best. maybe ill get back hehe. good luck tho!

Both are great in my opinion.

Last edited:
I first bought a cheap acoustic guitar for $99 dollars before I bought my uke. The guitar was ok, but it was not easy to learn on because of the action and the sound wasn't great. I learned from that and bought a decent uke Lanikai CK-TEQ and bought another decent acoustic guitar Takamine EG341-SC.

For me, it's a lot more fun and easier to learn on a decent guitar or uke. I've been trying to learn both. I switch back and forth, but I tend to play the uke more. I still plan on mastering both instruments one day :)

if you pick up a guitar, and you spend the money on it... will you be DETERMINED TO LEARN how to play it?

the thing that grabs a lot of people about the ukulele is how easy it is to play. you will need to dedicate even more time toward learning how to play the guitar, if you are expecting the same results that you got while learning how to play the ukulele.

to be honest, had i picked up an ukulele 15 years ago, instead of a guitar, i never would have learned to play the guitar. i was self taught. i didnt have access to chord charts at first. all i knew was a little bit of music theory from playing the keyboard, and how to tune the guitar. so i basically figured out how to play most of the chords on my own, according to what strings to hold down at what frets, compared to the notes i played on the keyboard. confusing eh? yeah thats why it took me a month to be able to play an F chord on the guitar hahaha.

if your determination to learn rivals mine back then, i say GO FOR IT. get the guitar. variety is a GOOD thing. and knowing how to play each will make you an even better player, as you apply techniques learned for one to the other, and as you understand the theory better behind the strings.

One thing that I particularly like about the uke is the simple fact that it is more unique than a guitar. I have always supported the under-dog...ahah.
Exhibit A:
Lacrosse, not football
Bodyboard, not surfboard
Uke, not guitar

... but playing guitar is much harder than the uke, so you will eventually feel discouraged. i know i did.
I'm inclined to agree ... but not entirely. Yeah, you have two more courses and the chords may require more fingers; but if you're just strumming, it seems to be the same deal to me.

I'm learning fingerstyle ... so that may be a different deal.

I bought an acoustic guitar for like $600 maybe 8 years ago with the intention of learning it. I ended up touching it maybe 3 times. I still have it. And it still sits in its gig-bag.
What model and for how much might you be willing to part with it? I'm in the market for a Seagull Artist Mosaic but I'm being a real tightwad with my money.

Last edited:
I'm not going to lie. While I am a big fan of the uke scene and I've got a uke that I still love dearly, I've recently become much more attached to my acoustic/electric guitar that I picked up with my Christmas money.

I'm sure that in time, uu.com will be the ONLY place to go for everything ukulele. Right now, its still in the infant stages of awesomeness. Meanwhile, the availability of acoustic resources on the net is second-to-none. And I find myself learning a lot quicker on the guitar than the uke at the moment.

Who knows? Maybe with my income tax money, I might pick up that Kamaka that I've been eyeing... =P

I'm not going to lie. While I am a big fan of the uke scene and I've got a uke that I still love dearly, I've recently become much more attached to my acoustic/electric guitar that I picked up with my Christmas money.

I'm sure that in time, uu.com will be the ONLY place to go for everything ukulele. Right now, its still in the infant stages of awesomeness. Meanwhile, the availability of acoustic resources on the net is second-to-none. And I find myself learning a lot quicker on the guitar than the uke at the moment.

Who knows? Maybe with my income tax money, I might pick up that Kamaka that I've been eyeing... =P

my brother and i have that same guitar, but classical.

for that $1000 budget, you can get an ibanez for about $300 or less and the rest to get an pretty damn good ukulele.

Top Bottom