Got First ukulele last week.................

Little Island Nick

Reaction score
Hello all,
Have researched ukulele info after stumbling onto youtube guru Ukulee Mike......
Hoping to make contact with anyone but am in New Albany, In. part of the Louisville
Metro area and would like to meet players in my area.
Just got my first, traded for a kala jazz tenor last week. While I have nothing to compare it to I am happy with this uke as a starting point.
Hope to hear from you......................

Welcome to the forum! Nice first uke! Which one did you get? The black, sunburst, or mahogany?

Welcome! Your first uke sounds great! You will most likely be like the rest of us and acquire another and another. You might look on Facebook for a uke group in your area. Here in Las Vegas we have a very lively group of uke players. We meet a couple of times a month. It was started by a lady who wanted to strum and sing with others. I wish you the best in your quest to find a group. Have fun with your new uke.

Last edited:
Aloha Nick,
Welcome to the UU and our forums and the ukulele, have fun and enjoy....there are quite a few upstate NY uker members here and I believe they mentioned a uke group too....they soon will be
chiming in .....and will help you....Happy strummimgs...MM Stan..
Also Google Keonepax and Dr Uke for some good information on ukes....

I have the mahogany one but I like the looks of the Oscar Schmidt ou5lce but I don't think the quality
is as good as the kala whats your opinion of the OS?

I haven't played that particular OS model, but IMO the Oscars have really improved their quality in the last couple of years. I didn't think much of them when I first started playing ukes, they were quite heavy and the sound of the ones I tried was rather dull. But in the last 6 months or so I've tried several of their newer models and found they play and sound much better (to me anyway). I even bought one of the OU2-P pineapples and after changing out the godawful GHS strings it came with for Aquila's, it's one of my favorite take anywhere ukes.

One of my friends bought a new Oscar Schmidt soprano a few months ago, and it sounds really dull. Maybe it needs to be set up? She bought a $25 uke, and since it sounds better, she plays it a lot more.

Top Bottom