Fluke Firefly Banjo Uke

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
Lucy at Magic Fluke just called - my Firefly is shipping today!

So I should have it tomorrow or Wednesday!

I may have to call Fitncrafty to help me with a video review - I will be taking still pictures as soon as I get it!

(And the Les Paul Uke is due in tomorrow! SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

-Kurt

Looks like mine is shipping today, too. I just got an email and it should arrive tomorrow. They told me four to six weeks last week, though. Hey, I'm not complaining. This just means that my wife is gonna hate me a lot sooner. If she thought I couldn't play the regular ukulele before, wait 'til she gets a load of this thing.

Aloha Kurt,
Congratulations..on the firefly..have fun and enjoy!! happy strummings....as for the video, good luck ..I have no idea too..MM Stan..

Got the Firefly today. I don't know anything about banjo ukes at all, but the thing is awesome. I think it's well worth the price tag. I've only played it for about a half hour, but I really like it. It is really light, like everyone has been saying. I'll probably have more to say about it after I have some more time with it. I don't know how to do vids or sound samples but I'm sure someone will have that stuff up within the next couple days.

It can get pretty loud if you hold it away from your body. Intonation is spot on, and the action seems fine to me, not high like some people have said about typical banjo ukes- not much different than a regular Flea. Overall fit and finish is fantastic. I'm really happy with it.

The ONLY thing that bothers me is that it's kind of awkward to hold, although I anticipated this, and it would appear to me that all banjo ukes are the same way because of the way the tailpiece is positioned. This is something that I'm sure I'll get used to, though, and is not a "complaint." Overall, I couldn't be happier, and would recommend the Firefly highly.

Attachments

• banjo uke.jpg
    banjo uke.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 61
The ONLY thing that bothers me is that it's kind of awkward to hold, although I anticipated this, and it would appear to me that all banjo ukes are the same way because of the way the tailpiece is positioned. This is something that I'm sure I'll get used to, though, and is not a "complaint." Overall, I couldn't be happier, and would recommend the Firefly highly.

this is where Lori's Uke Leash will pay off. Check it out!

I just opened mine about 45 minutes ago - got it and the LP today.

Here's a quick photo - more tomorrow.
new ukes.jpg

-Kurt

A couple ofphotos of the FireFly attached:
First, the nice denim caryy bag. Not padded, but it will make for a nice equipment bag, once I get a padded bag/case.
firefly bag.jpg

Next, the head: Pretty standard Fluke/Flea head, with peghed tuners.
firefly head.jpg

The neck joint, and the angle adjustment at the tailpiece side of the pot.
firefly neck joint 2.jpg

firefly neck adjust 2.jpg

And a little better view of the logo, inside the pot (with the LP Uke in the background....)

firefly_inside2.jpg

The strings are still stretching - yes, they are Aquilas, and the new pegheds are a bit tighter than those on my Fluke Tenor (but the Fluke was a second, and so had quite a bit more use before I bought it). The sound is rich and loud, even holding the back against my (ample) belly. Move it away from the adipose mute, and it is even louder!

I'm still trying to figure out how to do an audio file... I don't even have a microphone (yet)!

-Kurt

And I just noticed, looking at the S/N - mine is number 022! Sweet! Who here has a lower number?

Cool Banjo, sure wish they had a tenor scale.
As far as pegheads go, if you gently push in or pull out as you turn you can adjust the tension.

Had to look at the Firefly logo a few times to see it has a fluke head, banjo butt, and frets on its back!

Lucy at Magic Fluke just called - my Firefly is shipping today!

So I should have it tomorrow or Wednesday!

I may have to call Fitncrafty to help me with a video review - I will be taking still pictures as soon as I get it!

(And the Les Paul Uke is due in tomorrow! SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

-Kurt

Lucky you.. and yeah.. I can probably help you get a video up! Maybe Collins Park will be calling for a uke get together this coming week.. Must get school work done!

Here's mine! - number 17. Very pleased with tone, build, playability. Nice that the rim looks like dark finished wood. Glad I got the pegheds - sweet tuners and worth the price.

Firefly41411.jpg

That's a 20's "The Sterling" next to it.

Nice comparison shot. I know the Firefly is a slightly longer scale than a standard soprano, and I knew that the Fluke necks were slightly wider, but looking at the two in comparison shows me just what the difference is. The frets look about the same depth, though.

So now we know who got 17, 22, and 26. I wonder who is next?

-Kurt

Really delighted with the Firefly. Plunky tone sounds a lot like natural vellum. In spite of the light weight, it is a very sturdy instrument. Action and intonation are good as they get.

Top Bottom