kala koa vs koaloha koa

uke142464

Reaction score
so heres the deal, I want to eventually get a koa uke, and I dont know if I should really save the 950 bucks I would need for a koaloha (Im trying to make a deal with my parents that if I dont go to camp next year, maybe I could get a really nice uke:D) and I dont know If I want to have an all solid because where I live, we have the ac on in the summer and the heat on in the winter and Id be afraid it would be in really bad shape. and the kala is 600 dollars less... what to do what to do:confused:
(im assuming the kala is laminated koa)
and is laminated wood really that much worse than solid?

Is a Lexus that much better than a Toyota???

I own several Kala's for the reason you bring up, I live in very low humidity and I like to play in the sunshine.

I do lust over the Koaloha Tenor my store has I play it everytime I go in there and kind of get my fix that way (even in my hands it sounds like angels singing). Someday maybe it will be mine.

I personaly don't think that that a laminated ukulele is a bad thing they just sound different but again a Pono sounds different than a Koaloha and it sounds different than a Koalana and a gloss sounds different than a satin and on and on and on, but then again I am not a purist and I do say "uke" when I am talking to people.

I would say get the Kala Koa soon as you have the money, and you can always be saving for that Koaloha, you got nothing but time and it gives you a reason to get another uke (do you need a reason?).

Someone please correct me, I may be wrong but isnt a Kala a laminated body and a solid top?

Last edited:
I'm lusting after a koa ukulele, too. I talked Rich into letting me get one in January, but it was a piece of crap, and I sent it back. Too bad, too, since it was a brand that is very well spoken of here. (I guess everyone makes an occasional lemon...)

He may never let me spend that kind of money ($800) on a ukulele again, without seeing it in person and playing it. Which is just great, since there are NO ukuleles around here!

Purely for looks and style I reckon the KoAloha is better. I haven't heard either but I'm sure for that money you won't get a bad sound! I'm saving up for either a Koaloha tenor or a Kamaka tenor and can't make my mind up about that.

Purely for looks and style I reckon the KoAloha is better. I haven't heard either but I'm sure for that money you won't get a bad sound! I'm saving up for either a Koaloha tenor or a Kamaka tenor and can't make my mind up about that.

I love the looks of the Koaloha but when I hear Aldrine's Kamaka...getting both is probably the answer for me.

I love the looks of the Koaloha but when I hear Aldrine's Kamaka...getting both is probably the answer for me.

haha! The obvious answer. I'd be saving up between now and eternity for both. I like your style though so maybe it's worth the wait.

haha! The obvious answer. I'd be saving up between now and eternity for both. I like your style though so maybe it's worth the wait.

I was thinking of selling one of my kids. They eat too much anyways.

And if Aldrine was playing a KoAloha it would probably sound just as good. Go over to the video section and see what he did with his new Martin S-O!:bowdown: Made we want to buy one of those!

Anyway, as far as the original question, I would never let where I live dictate the type of instruments I own. I currently have close to 12K invested in guitars, a rather pricey piano, and another 2K+ in ukuleles. I live in the desert! With the exception of Monsoon Season, our RH hovers between 7 and 12% regularly, and our AC pretty much never stops running between the months of March and October. I keep a simple room humidifer in the room where all the instruments are, and all my instruments are very happy. :D

When we go on vacation, due to having dogs, we have a house sitter who fills my humidifier for me as needed. If your only talking about owning a couple of ukes, heck take them with you when you travel, or simply use the in case humidifer. And as far as playing outside, it takes a lot more than an afternoon outside for a properly humidified uke or guitar to crack. I have no problem taking any of my guitars or ukes out of the house. The key is that the instrument is kept properly humidifed in the first place.

Save your money and buy what you really want. BTW, the koAloha Tenors are curently selling for $855 through MGM. If your saving $950, that will give you enough to buy a room humidifer.

I would never let where I live dictate the type of instruments I own.

In so many threads here, there is a theme about how other people don't respect the `ukulele as a musical instrument. Heck, one person here calls others foul names because we respect the instrument and its correct pronunciation (sorry, tangent). But rt is right, doesn't matter where you live, you make due. Yes, there are some limiting factors in geography, but music shouldn't be one of them, especially in the US, save for certain places in AK.

So far, there's mention of Koa, how it looks, how it sounds when Aldrine plays, how much it costs, and is it worth it?

Two things not mentioned - one tangible, and one spiritual.

Tangible - How does it play? There are many experienced players here, and many new ones, so this is to expand the scope of the new ones. Bottom line - you can have the best sounding instrument, but can YOU play it. My friend played a 12 fret Martin Tenor, and needed a replacement. His custom Mahogany 14 fret Tenor ended up with a wider, thinner, flatter neck profile. Sounds minute, but both are completely different instruments in the way that he plays them. Another friend, has an extremely wide fretboard, thicker neck, on a cutaway with 22 frets. The first friend played it, and likes the sound, but not the playability. The owner of the instrument loves it (he's a guitar player and prefers more room on the board), and uses the 22nd fret. Yes, they are both professional musicians, and as one friend told me, "Any good musician should be able to pick up any instrument and play." I told him "A good musician shouldn't have to." He bought a Custom soon after.

Spiritual - How do you feel about the instrument? This is not for the new players, but the experienced ones who have at least taken the time to meet their builders. This one, I cannot explain, but suffice to say that if you have an instrument, but want another one, a particular one, you'll always wonder what if? This can manifest itself as a mental block in allowing growth.

Get the instrument that will prevent you from looking elsewhere and wondering "What if?"

Just my $.02 - Aaron

Get the instrument that will prevent you from looking elsewhere and wondering "What if?"

Great advice...

I think the spiritual connection is important for any player though, beginners too.

Top Bottom