UAS solid mahogany concert PONO

fabioponta

Reaction score
I just play "K" ukukeles in solid koa, and I am in desperate need of a more vintage mellow and warm tone, so I just bought today a PONO MC, concert size, satin finish, solid mahogany, with passive pickup and hardfoam case from MGM.
It will arrive in a few weeks here in Brazil.

Have I done a good buy?
Hamano concert would be closer to the sound that I like?
Should I use nylgut Aquila strings? Worth brown ? ...
I love the uke sound of Sophie Madeleine.

Any owner of Pono concert ukulele?

I have a Pono Koa concert. Definately mellow and warm to the Nth degree. Not sure it sounds "vintage" at all though.I have a 60's Kamaka that sounds what I would call vintage but the Pono is completely different. Lovely but different. My Ohana Pineapple sounds vintage-ee. I just bought a used Ohana sk38 Martin look a like so maybe that would be the sound you are looking for? I will say, I love my 3 Pono's the best of all my ukes and I have some nice ones.

the Ponos are great. The mahogany is warm with great resonance . The Alohi strings sound good as do Freemont Blacklines, Worths and Orcas to my ears. Aquilas for most people I've encountered don't seem to compliment the Ponos.

I have four Ponos. A Mahogany Baritone, A Spruce Top and Macasser Ebony Baritone, A Koa Tenor, and a Sprucetop and Macasser ebony tenor. I love them all.

I play jazz and swing and perform regularly and really want that warm, mellow, jazz tone. The Mahogany Pono delivers it. I use Southcoast strings and I love the combination. You cannot go wrong.

Mike

I have the Gold strings and they are perfect with the Koa!

Pono's vintage sound??? maybe not...Have fun and enjoy...Happy Strummings...and Congratulations on your new Pono Ukulele...MM Stan

I have a Pono mahogany tenor. It is very mellow, but not overly mellow. It's definately a great sound. I don't recommend the gold strings for it, but that's just me. I love the sound, and for the price, you can't go wrong with a pono :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom