PDA

View Full Version : What would be the E major chord???

ukulelecool595
04-11-2011, 01:30 PM
I just watched the Uke Minutes video about major chords. What would be the major chord for E, using the 1, 3, 5 method??? :p Thanks. :D

Kanaka916
04-11-2011, 02:12 PM
I think this is what you're asking and hopefully this chart will help you . . .

http://files.meetup.com/227762/key-chord-chart.jpg

SweetWaterBlue
04-11-2011, 02:31 PM
I am thinking he means, "How do I play the E chord using the I,III,V method?"

The E chord starts on E, since that is the root and the 1st note in ths scale. You can find an E low on the fret board on the 4th fret of the 3rd string, or the open 2nd string .However, if you use the 2nd string, you may run out of strings quickly. Now, we need a G#, which is the 3rd note in the E scale. We can find one on the 4th fret of the 2nd string. Finally we need a B, which is the 5th note in the E scale. There is one at the 2nd fret of the 1st string. We could then just play:

-2--
-4--
-4--
-X-

with X meaning don't play the G string. Most of us, however play another B at the 4th fret of the 4th string. Thus we play:

-2-
-4-
-4-
-4-

I hope that is clear.

ukulelecool595
04-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Thank you! :)

SweetWaterBlue
04-11-2011, 02:33 PM
By the way, you should be able to figure out all the notes in the E scale simply by starting on the E string and working your way up by ear. At least that is the way I always do it.

SweetWaterBlue
04-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Sorry that last note is a B not a Bb. I edited that typo out.

OldePhart
04-11-2011, 04:53 PM
The 4442 is often shown as the "correct" way to get an E major in chord books. That doesn't mean it's always the best choice. A much easier fingering is to barre the fourth fret all the way across and put your pinky down on the seventh fret. If you're playing in the key of A then you will be "mixing it up" between the A and E, the A and D, and sometimes the E and D. Using barre chords this becomes very easy because the D is 2225, the E is 4447, and the A is 6454 - which sounds tough until you realize it is still the index finger barred across 4444 with your second and ring fingers down in front of it.

Likewise, if you're playing in E, the chords you're mixing up a lot are the E the A and the B. The E is still the 4447, the A is still the 6454, and the B can be played the same shape two frets up (8676) or it can be played as an "A shape" chord back two frets (4322), your choice!

When you try to describe this it sounds difficult. But sit with a uke in your hands and go through the motions a couple of times and you'll quickly realize how little left hand motion is required to strum an accompaniment for most songs using barre chords.

John