Any vintage lovers, 1929 Kumalae ..from Hawaii to England and back..

I'm a vintage lov...oh, you mean lovers of vintage ukes... :biglaugh:

Sorry, it's been a long day and I just couldn't resist the cheap laugh - okay, so maybe I'm the only one laughing but I still couldn't resist!

John

That does look nice!

Sorry, it's been a long day and I just couldn't resist the cheap laugh - okay, so maybe I'm the only one laughing but I still couldn't resist!

John

No, I was laughing too. And wheezing.

:O that's been on quite the journey!

Hee Hee...let me clarify John, I'm am for the female persuation and inanimate vintage stuff...but I'm sure there's alot of female ukers might be intrested if you put up a real photo of yourself..just don't let the
wifey know...ha ha All in all, it's a really nice uke...at a good price..

but I'm sure there's alot of female ukers might be intrested if you put up a real photo of yourself..just don't let the
wifey know...ha ha

No, I've already been told by a couple of women how disappointed they were when they saw my videos and realized that my avatar isn't a picture of me. :( LOL

Besides, I've never quite figured out the guys who want more than one woman - yeesh, isn't one enough trouble?! (and I am so glad my wife doesn't visit this forum)

John

I have a very similar Kumalae (Royal Hawaiian label) that I can date very accurately to 1927. That's the year the original owner received it (at age 13) from her brother who had just returned from a Pacific cruise with the US Navy. The original owner (age 95) gave it to me shortly before she passed away.

It's incredibly light and very loud.

It's a nice Kumalae (style a I think) and I can see why it was imported from England to Hawaii. Kumalaes are quite plentiful here in England and good ones (with no cracks) sell for US$300 to $400 on eBay for a style a or b. Worth re-importing if they really sell for £700 in the US!

The only reason I can suggest for there being proportionally more in England, and thus lower prices, is that in the 20s and 30s you preferred the new-fangled Martins, whereas we traditional Brits bought the older style from Hawaii.

They're a real bargain at English prices. I wouldn't part with my style a, which is super-light, sounds beautiful and is louder than almost any modern soprano. As you can see it has wooden pegs - don't let that put you off buying one, they work really well.

Kumalae 001.jpg

It's a much nicer colour than the washed out picture shows, quite golden. No curl (standard for a style a) but pretty.

I can't find any reliable way of dating, but the one which started this thread feels later (mid-30s?) because I think it's made a little less slender - maybe aiming more at the Martin shape?

I have such a weakness for old things. So pretty.

John

I was laughing,

No, I was laughing too. And wheezing.

but I was laughing even harder after reading this, and almost wheezing myself.

Last edited:
So, what do you think it means that we are listed as "senior" members. "Wheez" old?

Top Bottom