thoughts on Big Island Honu Traditional Series ukes?

janeray1940

Reaction score
Aloha all. No, I'm not buying a new uke :) I'm asking on behalf of a friend. I encountered a Big Island Honu Traditional koa concert uke and I thought it was pretty impressive for the price - sounded great, was really nice to play, and very pretty to look at. Anyway, said friend is on the lookout for an upgrade and I thought of her immediately when I played this one.

The thing is - I know nothing about the quality of these ukes. At about half the price of a comparable Kamaka, are they even worth it? I'm skeptical. What little I've been able to find out is from their website; evidently the cost is kept down by having them assembled overseas, but they are real Hawaiian koa.

So if you've got an opinion on these, pro or con, I'd like to hear it. Mahalo!

Aloha all. No, I'm not buying a new uke :) I'm asking on behalf of a friend. I encountered a Big Island Honu Traditional koa concert uke and I thought it was pretty impressive for the price - sounded great, was really nice to play, and very pretty to look at. Anyway, said friend is on the lookout for an upgrade and I thought of her immediately when I played this one.

The thing is - I know nothing about the quality of these ukes. At about half the price of a comparable Kamaka, are they even worth it? I'm skeptical. What little I've been able to find out is from their website; evidently the cost is kept down by having them assembled overseas, but they are real Hawaiian koa.

Of the three big imports (Pono, Mele, Honu) I think the Honu has the best looks. The owner is from the big island and he owns a wood company(?). So the koa is real. It isn't acacia being labeled as koa. I have played many of Big Islands and Honus since UkeRepublic sells them and I have gotten to try them out nimerous times. Honu also seems to produce a lot of darker koa which I love.
The price is good on them and they are worth the money IMO even though I would rather buy a Mele in that same range.

$60 less expensive here http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/big-island-honu-koa-deluxe-traditional-concert

Mine is much closer to that sweet Kamaka sound versus the loud KoAloha. I love mine but I am sure I will sell it soon. Mine is the rope and the craftsmanship is absolutely amazing! The wood is beyond compare.

I have a Honu traditional tenor that I bought used from someone here on UU. They're made of Hawaiian koa in Vietnam, and Big Island has an office, it turns out, in Honolulu. I've been very happy with mine. It's pretty, although the koa is lighter, not dark, and I like the way it sounds and plays. Having recently played a bunch of K brands while shopping for one in Hawai'i, I would say that the Honu sounds more like a Kamaka than a KoAloka, Kanile'a, or G String, but, as you might expect, it has a bit less resonance and a little less clarity than a Kamaka. The intonation on mine seems good up the neck. Mine came strung with Aquillas, and I actually think it might benefit from being restrung with something more mellow, like Worths. I paid $400 for mine and I feel that it was a value. Based on my experience, I would recommend an ukulele from the honu traditional series.

By the way, there are photos of the honu tenor I bought in this thread. The actual color of the ukulele is the reddish-brown in the fourth (closeup) photo, not the duller brown in the first few photos.

Last edited:
I have the deluxe concert, its very light at 1 pound 3 oz. beautiful Koa (pics in my album) sounds great, 0 complaints.

Toucan, that is a sweet uke, really love the Koa grain and the color!! Very nice!

Hey thanks for that! She'd probably be able to get it below list where we found it, but I don't know that they could beat that price.

As for Mele ukes - I've seen them, but I've never seen one for sale. I'll have to find out who, if anyone, sells them locally.
Check with Kayes Music Scene in Reseda. He carried Honu and may still have a concert in stock. They are nice ukes and priced well for what you get.

Check with Kayes Music Scene in Reseda. He carried Honu and may still have a concert in stock. They are nice ukes and priced well for what you get.

I've got a local Honu dealer. It's Mele that I haven't seen for sale in these parts :)

Last edited:
The BI ukes are a little broader in the lower bout so not all hard cases fit them.
Quality and sound they are wonderful instruments. To be all solid koa with that kind of finish and inlay work they are a bargain as are most ukes when I think about it:)
The owner of BI also owns Winkler woods.
Check out how they make the little honu

Thanks all for the feedback! The end result - we went to the shop to check out the Honu, and - there happened to be a nice selection of Kamakas that they had just gotten in. Guess what my friend left with?? :)

And for those keeping tabs on my own UAS: yes, there was a Kamaka pineapple. No, I didn't buy it. NO, I didn't even pick it up. I am, at the moment anyway, so very happy with my twin Kamaka concerts that I really don't want anything else. Subject, of course, to change :)

Top Bottom