"What 'Ukulele?"

NathanR

Reaction score
I've read through the entry level thread but I didn't really find what I was looking for, I also tried searching but I got a few hundred threads with nothing that applied to me.

I recently purchased a Mahalo U-200, which won't be here until about Thursday. It's my first Ukulele and I don't expect it to be amazing, but I've never played a string instrument and didn't want to go to high until I was sure this was something I was actually interested in pursuing.

So, anyway, what my point is, that when I've decided whether I'm interested in continuing to play the Uke, which ukulele should I go for?

http://www.kalaukulele.com/

I would prefer a Kala ukulele as I've heard they are pretty good beginner Ukes and would be great to get me really into playing.

I'd like to know which ukulele here would be the best for me? I'd prefer if they were less than £100 but if I'm not too bothered by the Mahalo U-200 I think I could hold off for a bit and up the price.

I noticed the Kala KA Soprano Ukulele, and I thought it'd be a pretty decent upgrade after the Mahalo.

Do you think this is a good ukulele or are there any others there that you think would suit me better? An important detail is that I'd like the ukulele to look pretty good. I'm attracted towards the KA-S because I like the wooden finish and the shape.

Yes Kala is an excellent upgrade as is Lanikai.

Aloha Nathan,
Welcome to the UU and our forums and the ukulele....have fun and enjoy...I suggest if possible to check out a music store and try some out...for sound, playability and comfort...every uke has it's own voice
and some will always sound better than others even in the same brand, model and builder...due to the many variables in the building process and materials..play them side to side and listen for the best one
that sounds good to you...if you cannot play well yet, as a salesman to play the same thing between two ukes for a comparison....it's the best way to ensure a good sounding ukulele..Good luck and Let us
know what you get. Happy Strummings..MM Stan

In ascending price, I would personally look at

Lanikai LU21
Bruko model 6
Flea
Mainland

Within those price brackets are several by Kala and Ohana - also very nice ukes

Also, consider a Cordoba. My concert was $99 at guitar center and came with Aquila strings.

You should see if there is a Ukulele Group that meets in your area, and get up-close with a lot of different ukes. Ukulele players are pretty friendly, and most of them will let you try their uke if you look like you'll be careful with it. It will take a little time for you to learn a few chords, and get a feeling for what kind of uke player you want to be. Do you want to strum and sing dance hall songs, or play fingerpicking classical style, the blues, rock, claw hammer folk, bluegrass? So much can be done, and that might influence what you get next.

I don't know where you live in the UK, but there is a big Uke Fest in June. http://www.ukulelefestival.co.uk/
Everybody is different in their likes, so it is hard to choose without knowing more about you.

Welcome to UU!
–Lori

Top Bottom