Mahalo and only Mahalo

antara21

Reaction score
Hello guys.

I am really interested in learning and playing ukulele. So I went to search one for myself to start playing. However, there were not many choices offered by major music stores here.

So I was left with Mahalo. That's the only brand of uke I could find in most stores. The rest were like Gypsi, unknown and brand-less:confused:. I asked for opinions and they told me to go for Mahalo, of course.

That's how I got myself Mahalo's ULP-1-VS. Some say it's the Les Paul's vintage something - I'm not sure. I think the sound that my ukulele produces is quite good. Or not bad. ;) .

Nevertheless, I would love to hear from you guys, opinions about my uke (the model) and suggestions (if there's any) to improve the sound quality or clarity, etcetera etcetera. Thank you in advance ^^

Decent strings,over the ones they usually come fitted
with,will improve matters a LOT.I prefer Aquilas on my
laminates,but thats a personal choice.Once you have
action set up to suit you (the height of the strings above
the fretboard,at NUT and SADDLE ends.Plenty of threads
on here to explain what to look for and how to do it!)
Aside from that,enjoy what you have! Lots of folk sneer
at Mahalos but I have been lucky and owned two good
sopranos (still have one!) and one good tenor scale,so
make the most of whats available! And good luck and
keep playing....

I've never had a problem with Mahalos, I think they sound completely fine with quality strings and a few minor adjustments :D
I love the LP ones, I have one on the way in the post. What colour did you get?

My Mahalo LP came with aquilas and a nubone compensated bridge and needed no setup as it had perfect intonation. I love the thing. Doesn't need new strings. Mine was fine as is.

Last edited:
My first was Telecaster style Mahalo, only £33 delivered, with gig bag. I still love mine, and the Aquilas made an enormous difference, even to an uneducated ear as mine is!

Yes, if your uke did not come with aquila strings (they are white in color) then you might want to replace the stock set with aquila strings. The aquila strings will really improve the sound!!!
BTW....Congrulations on getting you new uke!!!!!

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with Mahalos, I think they sound completely fine with quality strings and a few minor adjustments :D
I love the LP ones, I have one on the way in the post. What colour did you get?

Good to hear some thumbs-up reviews about the uke. ^^ Yes the Les Paul uke somehow makes me look like a kid version of Joe Perry (LOL) - dream on. =D Colour? Dimmed yet blazing red sunburst. Haha. I cant describe it well. I'll post a picture of it later. ^^

Yes, if your uke did not come with aquila strings (they are white in color) then you might want to replae the stock set with aquila strings. The aquila strings will really improve the sound!!!
BTW....Congrulations on getting you new uke!!!!!

Thank you! Basically, it's a fine ukulele, right? So I just need to change the strings and tune it sweetly to make it sounds better. Aquila. Noted. Will start lookin for one set of it. ^^

Thanks all for your reply and suggestions. Ukulele really makes me drop my Guitar Hero's controller. I once fell asleep while practicing a song with my ukulele - I got to tune it back the next morning. ehehe..

My new cherry Les Paul arrived a couple of days ago, and I love it! :D the shop I ordered from were kind enough to set it up and fit it with a set of aquilas, and now that the strings have settled the little guy sounds bright as a bird!

My new cherry Les Paul arrived a couple of days ago, and I love it! :D the shop I ordered from were kind enough to set it up and fit it with a set of aquilas, and now that the strings have settled the little guy sounds bright as a bird!

ode de joy! good for you! I think after a few adjustments and tuning my Les Paul sound somewhat better as well, compared to its early days. Now there's a tenor Mahalo in store... hm~... =D

Top Bottom