spool clamps size, nubie question

Mungo Park

Reaction score
I was going to make up as set of spool clamps, that was the name Stewmac called them.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Clamps,_support_tools/Spool_Clamps.html

I want to know what clamping distance would I want to cover most builds, that is just the instrument amount.
And how many would be a reasonable amount for starting out, yes I know you can not have to many clamps.

Cheers Ron.

Last edited:
I started out with 24, which was enough for our concert pineapple build. But you're right that you can never have too many. This is how they turned out.

The clamping distance really depends on the depth of the instruments you want to make. I made ours with different sized bolts to cover a range from about 50 mm to 100 mm. I also got some threaded rod so we can cut bolts whatever size we need.

Anyway, that reminds me I need to make at least 24 more for the walnut/cedar guitar we've just started building.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I had to make my own spool clamps when I built an upright bass a few years back. I think it took as long to make all those clamps as it did the bass itself:p

i went out and picked up 24 6' bolts, and wing nuts, that should do me for a start. Yah making the jigs, tools can be a whole hobby in itself.
Cheers Ron.

I like the looks of those clamps I should be able to make something up to work for me. The gobar deck will have to wait and if this dos not work out it will be next.
Thanks all for your help/opinions for a nubie. Cheers Ron.

I use 16 with a bar at the lower bout and two crossbar clamps at the neck on my solera. Mine are 7" long but they have spools on both ends.
P1010389.jpg

Ah, I've seen that one before! I also put a sound hole caul in mine to make sure the sound board stays flat when gluing the back on.

I started out with 24, which was enough for our concert pineapple build. But you're right that you can never have too many. This is how they turned out.

The clamping distance really depends on the depth of the instruments you want to make. I made ours with different sized bolts to cover a range from about 50 mm to 100 mm. I also got some threaded rod so we can cut bolts whatever size we need.

Anyway, that reminds me I need to make at least 24 more for the walnut/cedar guitar we've just started building.

Good luck!

hi ! Erich,
how did you cut the threaded rod?
thanks

I got some of them done, a few lost to attrition, should have 24 when all is said and done, so a few more to go, I think this is 18.
Birch dowel, rubberized cork gasket material basic wing nut and 6" bolt. I still have to get the washers, but they seen to work well,
Thanks everybody for the help, next project the form. Cheers Ron.

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

I haven't built instruments yet, but I'm constantly building furniture and doing finish carpentry around the house. I think I spend every project building a jig specifically for the project.

One of the best things to remember about any type of woodworking is that you will always be buying tools and making jigs. From day one until they pry that mahogany from your cold dead hands (which is laying next to the table saw that lopped it off).

~DB

DB, yes truer words have never been spoken, as a firniture guy gone bad I hear Ya. Just working towards my first build. Can't enjoy coffee unless it has a modicum of oak dust floating on the top, sort of like the oak aged wine thing. Cheers Ron

Top Bottom