Heating Blanket Question

agilitydog

Reaction score
Is there any advantage (or disadvantages) in placing a small heating pad (5"x5" like the one LMI suggests using for the waist bend) on the top side of the wood at the waist in the spring steel/heating blanket/side/spring steel sandwich and using both together -- essentially heating both sides of the waist at the same time? Thanks

I use two blankets for all of my bending with a total of three metal slats. The wood itself is also wrapped in a damp canvas envelope. I DO NOT recommend this setup however as I do not want to be responsible for anybody's burnt wood! All I can say is, it works for me.

I just use one blanket, but know a few that use either two blankets or a hollow form with the light bulbs inside. They had their forms for some time and didn't feel like making new ones so upgraded their set up with the blanket. Works for them. I've not had any issues with my set up though. 2 1/2 minutes from straight wood to bent without ever cracking a side is good enough for me.

I just use one blanket, but know a few that use either two blankets or a hollow form with the light bulbs inside. They had their forms for some time and didn't feel like making new ones so upgraded their set up with the blanket. Works for them. I've not had any issues with my set up though. 2 1/2 minutes from straight wood to bent without ever cracking a side is good enough for me.
If I was to upgrade to a blanket on my "Fox type" bender..it would be just the one on top, and then I would have to reduce the shape of the top caul by the thickness of the blanket :(...If I used two blankets above and below...I would have to do the same to the lower form as well:(:(....So I'll stick to what i've got;)...(*shop note* always allow for blanket thickness when designing benders)

Ken,

Your "shop note" is obviously important...extending to changing blanket types, support slats (Chuck uses three and LMI recommends an additional waist support. Apart from the need to be modular to accommodate different instrument designs, does anyone have adaption techniques to account for the issues effecting getting the right dimensional bends? Sounds like "find one system and don't change", "dig out the bending pipe", or "be prepared to cut far more side templates than you ever imagined".

Top Bottom