IMG_2222.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_2225.jpg
    IMG_2225.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2226.jpg
    IMG_2226.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 179
Love the maple. Neck profile looks nice too. Looks like a uke for a serious player, I bet it sounds wonderful.

Really beautiful uke. I like the simplicity of it.
By the way, i noticed that the positions of the tuners are not symetrical. Is there any guideline or principle that you are following, when you decide where to position those tuners?

I am also very interested in the way you put the strings through the bridge into the body. Do you mind to share with me how you did that?
Thanks.
Awesome uke...

Looks great! Don't let PRS see that headstock.

Really beautiful uke. I like the simplicity of it.
By the way, i noticed that the positions of the tuners are not symetrical. Is there any guideline or principle that you are following, when you decide where to position those tuners?

I am also very interested in the way you put the strings through the bridge into the body. Do you mind to share with me how you did that?
Thanks.
Awesome uke...

http://www.harpcenter.com/documents/TYTP30/78Knot.pdf

The strings pass thru the bridge and top and a thin plate of mahogany on the underside of the top. I fish the inside end of the string out of the sound hole, and pull it back until it seats under the bridge. it's a little more complicated than a slotted bridge, I thought I'd give it a try.

The knot itself is a slip knot with a small length of string through it to act as a positive stop against the ukulele top. see link above.

as for the tuners, they are offset because they would collide if I didn't set them that way.

Hope this helps

David-
It's finished with tung oil. the first coat is thickened by pouring a portion into a bowl and letting it sit out in the air for 12 or so hours till it becomes somewhat gelatinousness. then I tap into my inner "Karate Kid" and "Wax on... Wax off"

then 4 more coats of thin oil to finish it off.

That looks terrific! Simple and yet eye-catching at the same time.
How does the finish feel? It it similar to a polished varnish, or different?
I was thinking of switching to an oil finish on my ukes because it seems like it would let the wood resonate better, thus giving it a richer sound.
Or maybe I'm over thinking it?

That looks terrific! Simple and yet eye-catching at the same time.
How does the finish feel? It it similar to a polished varnish, or different?
I was thinking of switching to an oil finish on my ukes because it seems like it would let the wood resonate better, thus giving it a richer sound.
Or maybe I'm over thinking it?

The finish can be a little sticky at first, but smooths out as the finish cures. a little steel wool and some furniture wax add the finishing touch.

http://www.harpcenter.com/documents/TYTP30/78Knot.pdf

The strings pass thru the bridge and top and a thin plate of mahogany on the underside of the top. I fish the inside end of the string out of the sound hole, and pull it back until it seats under the bridge. it's a little more complicated than a slotted bridge, I thought I'd give it a try.

The knot itself is a slip knot with a small length of string through it to act as a positive stop against the ukulele top. see link above.

as for the tuners, they are offset because they would collide if I didn't set them that way.

Hope this helps

Thats an interesting way to knot it. I also use a "through the bridge" type set up but use a bead tied to the inside instead.

Thats an interesting way to knot it. I also use a "through the bridge" type set up but use a bead tied to the inside instead.

It's a centuries old technique, incredibly stable and easy to knot. I'v started to wonder if you were to use one piece of filament to anchor all 4 strings it there would be any harmonic interplay between notes... something to think about

Nice ukes, enjoyed the photos. Somewhere in my future is my "Ghost Uke." A light, solid maple concert uke that "chimes" like the Bluegrass model on YouTube. Look forward to hearing yours.

Nice ukes, enjoyed the photos. Somewhere in my future is my "Ghost Uke." A light, solid maple concert uke that "chimes" like the Bluegrass model on YouTube. Look forward to hearing yours.

bluegrass... That's that banjo music ain't it?

"When you want genuine music -- music that will come right home to you like a bad quarter, suffuse your system like strychnine whisky, go right through you like Brandreth's pills, ramify your whole constitution like the measles, and break out on your hide like the pin-feather pimples on a picked goose, -- when you want all this, just smash your piano, and invoke the glory-beaming banjo!" -- Mark Twain

David-
It's finished with tung oil. the first coat is thickened by pouring a portion into a bowl and letting it sit out in the air for 12 or so hours till it becomes somewhat gelatinousness. then I tap into my inner "Karate Kid" and "Wax on... Wax off"

then 4 more coats of thin oil to finish it off.

Oh tung oil…that must be the color. I might just have to look into that. I like the honey color.

DAve
"Look eye! Always look eye!" -- Mr Miyagi

I ended up putting this uke in a woodworking competition at the Del Mar Fair. (San Diego County Fair) A million + people will walk by it in the next few weeks, and just got a call asking me to come to the awards ceremony on Friday night. Who knew?

Top Bottom