I've not seen a uke like this...You?

I love that. It reminds me of a hat box. (In a good way, I love hat boxes...)

It is a camp uke by some maker, I'd say. Similar in shape (overall) to the Lyon and Healy but don't believe it is the real thing. I have a real one and it sounds pretty darn good for its size and age.

Aloha DAPuke,
Words that haunt me....saying be careful!!!! NO fret wear... vintage uke with little use...Hmmmm why???

It looks like a genuine old camp uke to me, it sure looks like a standard Harmony bridge and circa 30's Harmony tuner buttons. Harmony made a camp uke early on. It's got kid mung and stuff on it. Probably nobody was really interested in playing and it is a closet uke. My circa 1918 uke has no fret wear and was stored horribly for decades. The pics are too compressed to be sure but the nut possibly looks damaged on the left. You can barely see the binding, looks similar to the L&H. I would say if you are in the Sonoma area it's well worth a look. From here in the L.A. area I would gamble $100 on it if it was on eBay or UU, but I wouldn't send the money to an unknown seller.

Just going through my 101 Licks book by Lil Rev, that uke model is on the cover. He sent me pics yesterday but didn't tell me it was on eBay, but I bought the Williams uke from MGM today so I'm done for awhile now, if not actually grounded by the better half. I have guitars and other sopranos to list this weekend, the deal is I trade like 4 outgoing for 1 incoming now. Who wants an Ohana Vita in a case?

Last edited:
Camp ukes were the "Thinlines" of their day. Popular for a while as a portable basher. Probably worth more than what he got.

Top Bottom