The Poormans CNC In Action

Michael Smith

Reaction score
This over size drawing is done in photoshop. Or you could hand draw it. (no cad needed, no cad, no cad) I added the bee later and glued them together
bee_drawing.jpg

Using the scroll saw with jewelers blades. I cut out the bee and flower parts which have been glued to some 1/8th thick hardwood. I find if I put the jewelers blades in just right and set the tension carefully they will cut quite a while before breaking
scroll_saw.jpg

Attachments

• cutout_pos_neg.jpg
    cutout_pos_neg.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
The bee and flower all cut up and ready to glue to scrap 1/2" MDF
The negative cutout (top) is saved to act as a template for the inlay channel
cutout_pos_neg.jpg

Parts are glued to 1/2"MDF with plenty of space to run the stylus around. I use a little wax on this to ease the stylus sliding. Silicon spray would be ideal.
exploded_bee.jpg

Negative glued to 1/2MDF..Make sure to clean up any squeezeout
glueing_negative.jpg

Last edited:
I cut out he parts using a dremel and a .036 end mill although I have found the carbide router bits work just as well. Some have worried that with all the leverage it would be easy to break the bits. I don't brake bits often when cutting. When I do break them is when carelessly bumping the arm or just when finishing a cut. Taking care has eliminated that problem. I always cut out doors and set a box fan at the end of my unit to evacuate shell dust.

the_poormans.jpg

I like to make them fit a little loose. I really don't like having to file too much. If I made my stylus to cutter bit a little less I would get a tighter fit. I made my stylus by taking a piece of 1/4" rod and drilling a whole down the center and epoxying in a finish nail of about the right size. This unit has a 2.77 times reduction so to get a really tight fit on my parts I would have a stylus that is 2.77 times larger than the cutting bit.

inlay_no_wings.jpg

Inlay with a layer of epoxy pore fill. This is my first try at engraving, a little rough but it did give me an idea of what could bee.

inlay.jpg

This is my second poormans CNC. I made a few improvements over the first by making the arms longer that hold the router and having a little less reduction over my first. This one has a reduction of 2.77. I wanted the longer arms so I could cover enough area to be able to do a custom rosette. If I were to build a third I would like a reduction of about 3.25 to 3 or so. They are pretty easy to make. I made this one in less than an hour. Moving parts are 1/4" iron wood from a piece of iron wood decking I scavanged.

Is the poor mans CNC as good as a real CNC, No, better in may ways. It's easy to take outside, cheap to make (this one only cost me some 15 cent plastic bushing a few 1/8th bolts and nuts and some scrap wood, less than $3) Your inlays don't look like they were cut on a CNC. I really don't like the CNC look. And did I mention you don't need to know a thing about CAD.

Last edited:
Michael, that is nearly too cool for words.

Incredible. Beautiful. Thanks.

Just a few things ...

a) - Very interesting. I've red over twice trying to learn a bit of what you did.

b) - Very beautiful result. The last pic, - do you have it a bit larger? Look really nice, just the style I like.

Top Bottom