Cheap straps - a pet project

uke5417

Reaction score
Go to the pet store and buy a 3/8-inch wide by 6-foot nylon dog leash for five or six bucks. Cut it a bit long, sealing the cut with a match or lighter flame.

Then take an old knife, heat up the blade and plunge it into the center of the webbing to create a few holes/slits big enough to slip over an end button. You can practice the knife bit on some of the excess length to get the knack of it. Remember to give the hot nylon a moment to cool off before you touch it.

Best part is the leashes have a loop built in, so I snake the leash under the strings just above the nut, wrap it around the headstock, back through the loop and then connect it to the button. No buckles or clips to scratch up your instrument's finish.

I don't use a strap with my ukes, but I've got several guitars set up this way and love it. The straps are plenty long, plenty strong and don't take up a ton of room like regular straps. I find the 3/8 to offer plenty of comfortable support for acoustic guitars. With electrics, you might consider a wider leash, such as the 5/8 ones.

I make mine out of regular ribbon, or intricately braided ribbon when I have the time :D

That sounds really good. I'm thinking of looking around in our local military surplus (real hole in the wall) store for a bit heavier strap than the ribbon I just used to make one, and I could use a real military button too hehe.

Top Bottom