Playing like a madman

bunnyrawr

Reaction score
So I just realised that today I've played my uke for approximately five or six hours of the day! Have you guys ever just lost a big chunk of time because you've been so pre-occupied with making music?

Have you ever become determined to play a difficult song/chord and whiled away the hours without notice?

The ukulele is SO darn addictive!

Frankly it beats the Internet. No one ever got paid for spending time on the Internet, but if I take my practice to the public (but not before I'm musical and not an ear-pain!) I bet I'll make at least $5 an hour.

Aloha bunnyrawr,
When you're having fun with the uke, time goes by quickly...glad to hear you're having fun and enjoying playing your ukulele...always nice to hear good stories like yours..Happy Strummings and Keep Strummin'
them strings..MM Stan
Thanks for sharing!!!

I play while watching tv at night. Work on finger picking and making up my own progressions. I definately hit the 3 hour mark regularly.....my poor wife!

that's when you begin to learn, when you enter a place where there is no space or time, when you start talking in tongues, when you hear the spaces between the spaces............................where you need to go

I've been playing, and playing at, a variety of instruments for many years - I've played guitar in a band and currently play bass in a band - but I have probably spent as much time playing my ukes over the last eight or nine months as I have all other instruments combined over the past few years. In fact, my favorite all around uke is my Kiwaya longneck soprano. I've only had it a few months and I noticed just yesterday that there is some distinct wear showing up on the edges of the fretboard just above the body where my fingernail occasionally catches it.

Wish I could afford to retire so I could play more uke... :)

John

I probably should add that I've never even been tempted to make a 2000 mile round trip to spend a weekend with other players of any other instrument... Yep, gotta be something special about the uke; I'm surprised our government hasn't banned, taxed, or otherwise tried to "control" it.

John

So I just realised that today I've played my uke for approximately five or six hours of the day! Have you guys ever just lost a big chunk of time because you've been so pre-occupied with making music?

Have you ever become determined to play a difficult song/chord and whiled away the hours without notice?

The ukulele is SO darn addictive!

Actually all the time. Being retired, if I don't have a project or something to keep me busy, It isn't uncommon to pick up a uke, or guitar shortly after I eat breakfast (normally around 8am, and play or tinker with sounds and chords till the wife tells me to put it down and shut up (between 9pm-10pm ish)

My mom banned me from playing during the NCAA Tournament b/c she couldn't concentrate.

But now that the Big Dance is over, the living room is fair game again.

2 - 4 hours per day

I think it's good that other things keep me from uke-ing more, or else I'd strain my tendons. I gave myself a forearm massage today, and I do extra Reiki and other energy work on my arms to prevent soreness from playing so much!

I do play it longer than other instruments. Not longer than I would spend at my old harp, but I think I'll pass that soon. These little things are so addictive. I had no idea. I *wish* I had one a couple years ago, when I was on bedrest. That would have been wonderful! Oh well. I'm onto it now. :)

I've been playing, and playing at, a variety of instruments for many years - I've played guitar in a band and currently play bass in a band - but I have probably spent as much time playing my ukes over the last eight or nine months as I have all other instruments combined over the past few years. In fact, my favorite all around uke is my Kiwaya longneck soprano. I've only had it a few months and I noticed just yesterday that there is some distinct wear showing up on the edges of the fretboard just above the body where my fingernail occasionally catches it.

Wish I could afford to retire so I could play more uke... :)

John

Mine too John, I've successfully began to obliterate the painted stripe below the fretboard from playing too much- aren't they the best ukes though, because we know them so well? :D

Bunny

my longest was around 30 hours. I was at home in my lil music room and had the urge to do some recording. It was last September and Eugenie and the kids were staying overnight at her friends' place. I thought I'd just record a couple of tunes... Anyway, I went from around 9pm that night, all through the night and the next day, and ended up in bed a little after three the following morning. All this is entirely consistent with my obsessive character; I just couldn't rest til I'd fully scratched the itch. I ended up with 15 songs and a record called "You're In Style When You're Wearing A Smile". I had a ball but was utterly spent by the end.

That's how I do most of my recording now. If I drag it out over days or weeks, I just can't sleep. My sleep time is full of dreams about the songs, different arrangements etc and I wake up with a start at 2am or 3am and have to keep going. I've realised it's better to just go til I drop... :eek:

Top Bottom