Make a Conspiracy Strap for your uke!

ConspiracyUkeist

Reaction score
OK well, nothing very conspiratorial about it, it's just a neat strap. I think so anyway!

I took some 1/2" ribbon, this isn't package-wrapping ribbon, this is stuff from a sewing store called "grosgrain", for use in sewing rather than the cheapo stuff used to wrap packages. I got it to make a watch band with, originally and it's a nice olive-drab green color. But you can get any color you like!

OK so, you'll need:

* 5 feet of this stuff to allow for body size and booboos.
*A way to heat up a knife blade and a trashy ol' knife you don't mind gunking up. I used a micro-torch.
* A button off of one of your shirts that's a nice size for the strap material (3/4 as wide works). Most shirts have spares sewn in on the bottom.
* Needle and thread. The heavier buttonhole thread is good, dental floss is excellent if you don't mind white stitching.
* Your uke. Since we're all different sizes, this is cut-and-try. You need to have installed a strap button on the end of your uke, too.

OK now we begin! Take one end of your ribbon, and melt the end with your heated knife blade to keep it from fraying.

Loop that end over itself so it's got 2" or so that's doubled, and sew it to "tack" it down and keep it in place.

Now, heat up your knife blade again and melt in a "slot" that's ideally just large enough to act as a "buttonhole" for the button. You've done one end!

Now, take the other end and melt that so it won't fray.

Double that end over, we're doing this for strength, and sew a button on it!

Now some gymnastics. Take the uke with the buttoned-on strap and put that around yourself, and take the unfinished end and feed that around the headstock, under the strings, and get an idea of where you want that doubled over. Now try to hold onto that spot while you disentangle yourself from the uke.

Keeping that double-over point in hand, lay it flat so you can get an idea of where the button wants to meet a buttonhole.

Now you can melt a buttonhole in. Keep in mind you'll need a smaller hole than you did for the strap-button. But you will want the slit you make the same length as the button is wide.

Make some more holes up'n'down to allow for adjustment. Some days you're fatter, or wearing more clothes, or less, you get the idea.

Put the tools away and clean up after yourself and pour yourself a beer, you just made a bitchin' strap! :drool:

Now your uke will be much safer from those drops and falls and oopsies that can happen when playing in public, at parties, busking, etc. And you'll find chording etc much easier.

Top Bottom