PDA

View Full Version : New strings?

Whiskat
04-14-2011, 10:53 AM
I hear from people that standard strings always are horrible. Should I switch mine with something else? What do you recommend me?

I have a Union Series TU1 Uke. What can you tell me about this one? Is it a soprano uke?

OldePhart
04-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Standard strings aren't always horrible - but some ukes can definitely benefit from better strings. A lot of ukes come with Aquila nylguts because they do tend to be quite bright and loud and can make a poor ukulele sound better than it is. Unfortunately, they can also bury the finer nuances of a better instrument. Some ukes do come with pretty terrible strings but, honestly, unless you've got an obvious problem like buzzing or so on it's not the kind of thing you're likely to notice as a beginner.

Not familiar with your uke but as a general rule of thumb sopranos have a scale around 13" long, concerts 15" long, and tenors 17" long. (Scale is measured from the nut to the bridge saddle.)

John

kenikas
04-14-2011, 01:52 PM
I agree with OldPhart, Aquila's are a great string especially on the "cheaper" laminate ukes. If your uke came with the black or clear plain nylon strings that most lower end instruments come with you'll see a vast improvement with the Aquila's. The Worth, and Martin fluorocarbon strings sound quite nice on many ukes too especially solid and/or solid tops.

uke552
04-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Does your uke say Tanglewood in the center of the headstock? If so, it is probably a soprano Mahogany uke. Try Aquila strings and see if you notice a difference - probably much brighter.

psylocke24
04-18-2011, 06:27 PM
I agree standard strings are not that bad in ukulele, depends on what uke you are using, Aquila has a good sound with a standard strings.

Twangmeister
05-11-2011, 07:12 AM
I've got a Tanglewood TU-2 and the strings it came with were terrible with horrible intonation as you moved up the neck. I put a set of Aquila's on it and the difference was outstanding - no intonation problems and loads more volume and definition.

I've since been given an Asbury Concert resonator on which the original clear (nylon or fluorocarbon) strings sound great and I'm now in a bit of a dilemma as to put Aquila's on it or fluourocarbons on it when it comes around to changing them.

Huna
05-12-2011, 02:52 AM
my latest ukes came with aquilas and I put fluorocarbons on because I like the tone better.

Sesska
05-12-2011, 11:03 PM
if you got a very nice -and expensive- uke, it's worth spending time and money for the strings that will release the very finest best of it... and it might take years :)

for a cheap uke, just simply go for aquilas and start strumming ;)

bazmaz
05-13-2011, 03:32 AM
Cheap uke? Go Aquilas all the way

Anything other than a cheap uke - experiment and use your ears. I get fed up with the call for Aquilas on EVERYTHING

Huna
05-23-2011, 01:49 PM
well I just got a Makala MK-C for 48 bucks and it has those black strings on them. I don't know if I just started becoming a disbeliever but I really like the Black Strings on this Ukulele! Has just the right amount of pluck to it etc... In the past, based on recommendations, I immediately removed black strings off the Makalas but on this uke... dang they sound good!