The Flea as a First Uke & a Travel Uke

Bluenose

Reaction score
This has been talked about a bit before, but I noticed a couple of recent soprano vs Concert ukulele discussions so I thought I would add a beginner's perspective on choosing a soprano Flea as a first ukulele.

The Flea was my first ukulele, which I bought to take with me on trips. I deliberately choose the soprano since it nicely fit into my legal carry-on bag, which is actually my only travel bag. The Flea seems an ideal travel uke. Small and easy to pack. Durable and fun to play. I don't think I will ever look at airplane delays the same way again. And even though I can't yet play, I still feel comfortable enough pulling the Flea out in some remote corner of the airport to practice chord changes or finger patterns. It just rocks.

After falling in love with Flea and the ukulele I started taking lessons and somehow found myself with another more upscale uke, a Mya-Moe Myrtle Concert. I was looking for just a bit more real estate to learn and play the type of music I like.

The interesting thing to me is that this didn't relegate the Flea to the closet or the space under the bed. The Flea is still always handy. It is still my go to travel uke but I didn't quite realize how much travel there was in and around the house. Nice day outside let's take the Flea out onto the deck. It sits next to the computer but gets carried around the house and is always available. It is a pretty nice feature.

Of course it no longer sees playing time during my Skype lessons and I almost always use my concert for serious practice time. But the new concert did not make the little Flea obsolete.

Which is why I am quite happy with it as my first ukulele.

Cheers,
Bill

Excellent comments Bluenose. I have a passion for vintage ukulele's but when I go for a hike or know I am going to be running around with a uke, I have taken my flea as it is just so portable, reliable, and tough!

Aloha Bill,
Yup, you always think your uke is good until you upgrade and get a great one.....especially the Mya Moes...they are top of the line man....no wonder you noticed the difference so fast....hee hee
but for sentimental reasons and fun, the first uke is staill fun too...even tho obsolete...

Top Bottom