Cracked my Pono..Help!

shane v

Reaction score
..so I just cracked the side of my Pono tenor (see pics) ...almost cried...anyway...does anyone know if this can be repaired......or recommend a luthier? ...any help would be much appreciated..shane

Attachments

• Pono crack2.jpg
    Pono crack2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 73
  • Pono crack.jpg
    Pono crack.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 79
..I had it in my hand and knelt down to pick something up and it got trapped under my knee.....I heard it, and then had to wait a minute to look at it...it sounded worse that it looks...still, ruined my week...

Hi

It looks like a very clean crack. No wood material was lost. I'd say it is a rather simple repair in the hands of a competent luthier. Not too costly, either. A little dab of soaking glue (from inside), maybe a small cleat. Depending on the finish, rub in a small amount of wood filler (from outside), and touch up the finish. You won't even notice the crack. No worries - this is not a serious damage.

Cheers
Chief

PS: Do not send it to me. My understanding does not translate into actual skills.

..any luthier recommendations?
I don't know your neck of the woods. But you really don't need anyone who specializes in ukes, since this by no means an uke specific injury. I would look for someone who works with classical or acoustic guitars.

Hi

I bet in Branson you can find a number of decent luthiers, who work on guitars (and mandos etc). Ukulele is smaller so you will have to be a little ingenious but the repair technique will be the same as for guitars. Ask around. $30 if you just apply cleats (which will secure the crack); $50 if finish is touched up. The prices may vary.....

By the way, do you happen to knw Lynn Rothermich? She moved to Branson from New Hampshire.

Cheers
Chief

yeah..I'm going to call around tomorrow..Most of the people I know are musicians so I should be able to find someone...Oddly enough though, for a music based city there are very few music shops..
..Lynn Rothermich..the name doesn't ring a bell..I've worked in shows in Branson for the last 17 years or so, so I'm seen/met a lot of people...Might know her if I saw her. (it's a pretty small place)

Thanks for your help! shane

Top Bottom