End Pins incorporating a pick up input

Tred

Reaction score
Following on with the discussion on end pins which also went into straps - I have a question for inmates.
My Pono tenor has a end pin which incorporates a pick up input and is larger than a normal end pin. It's diameter is 12mm with a 16mm lip so any strap has to have a 12mm hole to fit. Is my Pono end pin the same dimensions as other pins incorporating a pick up input and are there larger or smaller versions out there?
Cheers
John

speaking for stringed instruments in general, they vary quite a bit. I have several guitars with jack end pins - my Taylor strap button jack is HUGE.

It's no biggie - just widen the hole on the strap a little?

I actually prefer a larger lip as I presume it will be more secure?

I remember seeing somebody else on here say to get the leather on the end of the strap wet by putting it in a bowl of water for a while, then putting a double-A battery through the hole and leaving it that way. It'll dry and the hole in the strap will widen. Sounded like good advice to me! =)

Lori at Uke Leash will help you out if you just let her know the diameter you need. That's more than a fair few strap makers, this one company that specializes in guitar straps seemed unaware that this was even a thing, when it's like the bane of acoustic players.

I think it was SailingUke that gave the tip on the AA battery. I got a 1/2" hole punch, and then tried a AA battery out for size. It fit pretty snugly. If anyone wants a Uke Leash and a strap button adapter with an enlarged amp plug hole, let me know what size will work for your pick up type. I will probably have to have a new custom die made if I am to offer this option, so your input is extremely important.

–Lori

Top Bottom