A quick pole...

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
What would you say is the most common, and prefer?

Soprano
Concert
Tenor
Baritone

Couldn't resist the "dude" urge to say that A Quick Pole would be a good title for an adult film. I'd guess sopranos are the most common, and rightly so since that's the "original" ukulele size. Concerts are picking up steam and most pros seem to have tenors.

Couldn't resist the "dude" urge to say that A Quick Pole would be a good title for an adult film. I'd guess sopranos are the most common, and rightly so since that's the "original" ukulele size. Concerts are picking up steam and most pros seem to have tenors.

It does appear that everyone is about the sopranos. I don't know how people comfortably play sopranos though. I can't fret anything above the open chord positions. Tenors for me.

Irena Szewińska was a quick Pole.

Anyhoo... I'd guess that concert is most common among UUers. Among the population at large, including tourists who got their uke from the airport gift shop and never learned to play it, I'd guess soprano.

JJ

I typicaly play soprano because I am all about traditional. But just recently bought two concerts and a tenor.

Please post your personal preference and why if you like. But, also please post what you feel is the most popular overall. I would like the info because of my upcoming business adventure into the sale of Ukes, and don't want to end up with a buttload of one size that doesn't sell well. I want to weight any of my purchases geared to what is most commonly purchased.

I think sopranos are most common in the general population as a whole - probably because they are cheapest and most non-serious ukers consider the uke a novelty toy. After playing all the sizes for over a year, the soprano is my favorite ukulele, while the tenor is my favorite small guitar.

Well over forty years ago I received my first ukulele. It was a soprano. That was followed by a baritone. I have since had many ukes in various sizes, but, only a couple of tenors. My favorite size is really concert. I like extended-neck instruments, though, since I enjoy having a greater range of notes farther up the neck. Over the last year or so, however, I have played more concert-size, with standard necks, and more soprano. My most recent ukulele is the Anue-nue "Vision 1879" that will be reviewed in this coming issue of Ukulele Player. It is a soprano copy of a Nunes ukulele from c.1917 and I am loving playing this little twelve-fret gem. It has a great vintage vibe to it and Anue-nue built quality is first-rate all the way.

sop for me

I don't know what the overall preference is, but after owning a soprano and playing 2 concerts and a tenor at a local music shop, I have to say concerts are my favorite. The tenor wasn't a high end instrument, and while it sounded much nicer then my Lanikai, it didn't have a "ukulele" sound. I know higher end tenors can, but I much preferred the concert scale and sound.

Overall I'd say sopranos sell the best because they're entry level and cheaper then most.

What would you say is the most common, and prefer?
I would say the most common and PREFERRED (collective past tense, not "prefer" which is singular present tense) is "poll." This refers to a survey of the public or of a sample of public opinion to acquire information and can be either a noun or a verb. Since you used the adjective quick, you must mean the noun, otherwise you would have written the adverbial form.

A "pole" on the other hand is much more complex. it might refer to a person of Polish descent. Or it can be either of two oppositely charged terminals, as in an electric cell or battery. Or in astronomy it can be a celestial pole. Should you be referring to a tool, it means a long slender usually round piece of wood, metal, or other material.

A "quick pole" where as a verb would mean to propel a boat or raft with a pole. Unless, of course you meant a rather rapid sprinter of Polish descent, which would properly be a quick Pole since it needs capitalization.

I think overall the soprano remains king, but the new wave of uke players seem to be going with the concert.
I actually started with a concert, but have been adding sopranos to my collect and have come to prefer the
sound and feel of the soprano. I also have a tenor for which I traded one of my guitars. Will keep the tenor
and will probably add a few more sopranos as I run across different wood combinations. Am looking to sell
the concert as it just doesn't get played.

Current collection: Lanikai SM-T Spalted Mango Tenor; Lanikai LSM-C Mahogany Concert; Lanikai LU-21; Martin S-O; Mid-70s Kamaka Soprano and my newest, a Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Pineapple Soprano.

I would say the most common and PREFERRED (collective past tense, not "prefer" which is singular present tense) is "poll." This refers to a survey of the public or of a sample of public opinion to acquire information and can be either a noun or a verb. Since you used the adjective quick, you must mean the noun, otherwise you would have written the adverbial form.

A "pole" on the other hand is much more complex. it might refer to a person of Polish descent. Or it can be either of two oppositely charged terminals, as in an electric cell or battery. Or in astronomy it can be a celestial pole. Should you be referring to a tool, it means a long slender usually round piece of wood, metal, or other material.

A "quick pole" where as a verb would mean to propel a boat or raft with a pole. Unless, of course you meant a rather rapid sprinter of Polish descent, which would properly be a quick Pole since it needs capitalization.

Thanks for the grammer lesson. Was your answer to the question in their somewhere? I'm 50 years old. If my schooling, nor Mom couldn't get it to stick, odds are, it probably isn't gonna. But thanks none the less..

Aloha Bruddah Tudorp,
If you mean any single favorite ukulele...it would be between the soprano and concert....but then again, I love all my size ukes for different reasons...whether it be sound, playability, for certain songs, tone,
resonation, looks, man can go on forever etc.... I think when you first start selling them, most of your buyers will be beginner to a year or two....in that sense, I think most of the sales would be concerts and
sopraons...as they make good first and early playing ukes...hell I still play my Rogue soprano everyday 24.99 and still having fun with it among my expensive ones.. I hope it helps, Have a nice Day Bruddah, MM Stan..

I think I read that concerts were gaining as the number one uke folks are buying. I prefer the Soprano, easier for me to play.

Since I played guitar for 35 year before switching to the greatest stringed instrument on the planet, I would have to say the Tenor.

I started out on a concert. I prefer tenors now. I do occasionally pick up a soprano for the unique sound and attempt finger pickin em for fun.

So, tenor with concert a close second.

Started on concert and prefer over soprano. I have to believe that soprano will always win the popularity contest based on tradition and price. Me? I prefer tenor all day long.
My $0.02. Happy Friday gang.

If I had to guess, I'd say that sopranos are the most popular (especially due to being easiest to find, and lowest cost).

My personal preference is for concert ukes. Even though I'm small, I find sopranos hard to play further up the neck, plus I don't think the higher notes have as much sustain as on concert ukes. Tenors are a bit large for me. So, concert size = perfect!

As for Baritones - I don't understand them at all :)

grammer roolz

Does the 'pole' have a name?:biglaugh:

Top Bottom