Low G vs. High G?

finkdaddy

Reaction score
I'm thinking of setting up my next uke for low G tuning.
Is there a difference in the way I should create or set up the bridge when I build it,
or is it really just a matter of different strings?

Everything should be the same either way you go with the possible exception of some compensation at the saddle. The nut slot should even be the same for plain high G or wound low G.

I see some ukes that have the saddle at an angle with the G string being the longest. Is this necessary, or just a matter of preferance?

That's what I meant by compensation, which in our case means additional scale length for a particular string. This varies greatly with different string brands. I never compensate the entire saddle, I find no need for it. If anything I will occasionally have to compensate the C string and this is done by adjusting the ramp of the saddle in that particular area.

That's what I meant by compensation, which in our case means additional scale length for a particular string. This varies greatly with different string brands. I never compensate the entire saddle, I find no need for it. If anything I will occasionally have to compensate the C string and this is done by adjusting the ramp of the saddle in that particular area.

Beautiful. Thank you very much!

I use a straight saddle that is 3 mm wide. Gives all the compensation room I need for individual strings should they require it. Don't do anything different for low or high G either except for possible compensation.

Most people that buy my tenors say that they will try both low and high G strings. I tell them that I'll set the string hight but not compensation as it's very close at straight across. They can get me to adjust it latter when they decide what they prefer. I've never had one come back to fine tune the compensation when they settle on their string choice, so it must mean that the difference isn't worth worrying about to them.

Top Bottom