Another Review

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
Ok, the other day, I got in the 1st ukulele that I plan to offer for re-sale here in the lower 48. This one will be going up on Ebay tomorrow to feel the market as to what I could expect to sell these for. I am hoping to be between $200-$250 on this particular one. I am aiming to be around $200, but planning on adding a hard case to them for re-sale, which will put me about $250.

This one. I have been working on it for a couple days, cleaning up the nut and saddle, put on Aquilas, removed the tuners and re-aligned them (they were a little tweaked), dressed up the frets a little.

My review. Actually, these are pretty damn nice ukes. They are not "perfect" cosmetically. I see some imperfections, but that is to be expected. I would love to have a high end hand made next to it to compare, because in any hand made instrument, I would imaging that there will be imperfections with anything hand made. These are shop built, I don't think by a master Luthier, but most of it is hand built and crafted. In the price range, imperfections have to be tolerated I think. As far as that goes, I would compare that part of it to other factory built and falls somewhere in-between a Lanikai & Ohana. I would put it in a category of a comparible uke in the $300 price range.

It is a solid wood instrument, this one made of Acacia which is in the same family as Koa. It has a rosewood fretboard with abalone inlaid markers, including side markers. Has a nice, but not over the top abalone inlay on the headstock which is nice, as well as a pretty abalone rosette. Personally, I am not into all the lipstick inlays, but on this one, it is fairly subtle, and adds a nice touch of class to it. The tuners are a decent quality, I think better than many in the sub $300 range. They are sealed machines with Acacia wood buttons. Nice touch. Bone nut and saddle. It has a satin finish, which I like personally. The top and back are bookmatched, and the wood is very attractive IMHO. Top. Back & Sides are solid. Inside, nicely braced, and "some" glue seen in there, but not as much slop as I had expected. Actually, there is only one glue blob inside I can see. If I reached into the $300 range, I would expect a bit more time and attention paid to sanding and finishing in a finer grit, because you can see some sanding marks on the binding, and fretboard, but again, in the price range, it is not worse than others.

The sound is actually allot better than I had expected to. With the Aquilas, this Tenor has a very nice tone. Better than my other ukes. It's plenty loud enough, but has a soft rich tone to it. I was impressed, and wasn't expecting it to sound so nice. The saddle if I hadn't mentioned is also bone and "compensated".

Overall, these are pretty nice really after you spend a little bit of time tweaking, cleaning up and setting it up.

This one is for sale for $250 with a lockable hard case, and if someone here doesn't get it, it will go on Ebay tomorrow and see what I can expect for these tenors.

tenor1a.jpg

Good luck on the sale.

Thanks.. After some research, I find this particular uke is very similar to the Kala KA-ASAC-C solid Acacia (except the Kala is Concert). It's list is $428, but sold for $300 with Elderly.
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/kala-ka-asac-c-solid-acacia-concert-ukulele--KACC.htm

Kala is a recognizable name though. My personal opinion is you're going to max out right around the $250 mark you're looking for, maybe even a pinch lower like 225 with the hard case. I think you're going to run into the whole 'if I'm going to spend that much on a uke I may as well go with the Kala...'

Know what I'm saying?

Kala is a recognizable name though. My personal opinion is you're going to max out right around the $250 mark you're looking for, maybe even a pinch lower like 225 with the hard case. I think you're going to run into the whole 'if I'm going to spend that much on a uke I may as well go with the Kala...'

Know what I'm saying?

Sure do. I am just comparing it to something as far as the instrument. I mean comparing to Koaloha or Martin of something like that would be like comparing a Huffy bicycle to a BMW sports car, lol.. I don't want someone thinking they are getting a high end custom because they would be disapointed, so I want to compare it to something more mass produced, and that someone can compare it to. I would never entend to compete with the esptablished brands out there, because I am a hack, and actually only in this just as a hobby. So, it just gives ya a benchmark.

Aloha Tudorp,
Fine looking uke, maybe have someone other than yourself do a review of it so it does'nt seem Biased as some might feel. Me, I don't question your integrity. Your a standup guy in my book. This could be the latest kid on the block of other production ukes. I just received a Vineyard Zebra Wood Tenor as a gift and I'm very impressed with it. Well built, looks beautiful, intonation good, playability is amazing(best in my collection), sounds as good as my solid Acacia Tenor though not as loud. The point I'm making is, I've never tried a Vineyard till now, and I'm SOLD on them and would recommend them highly for the price point. Your ukes could be in the mix with all the others. Good luck!........................BO.................

Aloha Tudorp,
Fine looking uke, maybe have someone other than yourself do a review of it so it does'nt seem Biased as some might feel. Me, I don't question your integrity. Your a standup guy in my book. This could be the latest kid on the block of other production ukes. I just received a Vineyard Zebra Wood Tenor as a gift and I'm very impressed with it. Well built, looks beautiful, intonation good, playability is amazing(best in my collection), sounds as good as my solid Acacia Tenor though not as loud. The point I'm making is, I've never tried a Vineyard till now, and I'm SOLD on them and would recommend them highly for the price point. Your ukes could be in the mix with all the others. Good luck!........................BO.................

Good point. This is the first one I got, and haven't made a commitment on others until I checked it out for myself. So, this is unbiased and not a "sales" review. But, yeah, you have a valid point. Hopefully someone here will end up with one and do a review outside of mine. But at this point, this is a "buyers" perspective. I was actually prepared to not buy anymore if I didn't feel they were worth messing with. These are as I expected on some points, and better than expected on other points..

Tudorp, you might have a buyer in me at some point. I've been checking out ukes in this price point for a bit now. Eyeing up Mele, KPK, etc... A solid wood instrument w/ hardcase is a great deal at this price point. Especially having been set up here in the states. Good work man. I look forward to seeing what else you get.

Nice sound clip...uke sounds very nice! Am currently looking at a Pono Concert with hardshell case for about the same price by way of comparison, although it's not this pretty.

Here are a few more closer shots of this uke.

tenor1b.jpg

P1040139.jpg

P1040138.jpg

P1040137.jpg

Aloha Bruddah Tudorp,
Too bad I live on a rock in the middle of the "C"....wouldn't mind testing one...they look nice....I noticed the had a larger sound hole...Good Luck and Happy Strummings...MM Stan

Aloha Bruddah Tudorp,
Too bad I live on a rock in the middle of the "C"....wouldn't mind testing one...they look nice....I noticed the had a larger sound hole...Good Luck and Happy Strummings...MM Stan

Brudda, you live in Paradise, I would imagine that was a pretty good tradeoff. That, and you live in the land of Ukes taboot buddy.. lol..

What brand are these ukuleles you are selling?
Will you have the same product in concert size and if so what do you think the price will be?

Nick

They have no lable. These are not "mass produced", but built in a small shop/factory. It is a privately owned shop, so "No Name" really.

Yes, I actually have a Concert size on the way to set up and check out. Also made of acacia. The price point is about the same for the concert, because so far, there isn't a price difference for me, so they will also be around two bills with no case which is the price point I am aiming for. But I do think I am going to be putting them up for sale with a hard case because frankly I would feel safer with them in a case for shipping purposes.

They have no lable. These are not "mass produced", but built in a small shop/factory. It is a privately owned shop, so "No Name" really.

Yes, I actually have a Concert size on the way to set up and check out. Also made of acacia. The price point is about the same for the concert, because so far, there isn't a price difference for me, so they will also be around two bills with no case which is the price point I am aiming for. But I do think I am going to be putting them up for sale with a hard case because frankly I would feel safer with them in a case for shipping purposes.

BTW, if anyone wants this one, let me know by early morning because it goes live on ebay tomorrow morning. If someone wants it here, I will stop the clock for the scedual. I will also offer free shipping if bought before the auction to the lower 48.

Hi Tony, nice sound clip, it has v good tone. You're looking well by the way :). Are there likely to be concert size any time in the future? I'm not in the market yet, but when I get around to my next uke it's likely to be a concert size acacia.

Good luck with the venture. The product looks good, sounds good.

Yes, most of the ones I am going to be ordering are concert, and tenor. I have a concert on the way as we speak. The concert on the way here is a little bit fancier with inlay on the back side, but subtle on the front. Also Acacia.

Top Bottom