Cigar Box Ukulele

ghostriderukster

Reaction score
I've heard rumors of making a ukulele from a wooden cigar box and have tried to find good instructions online for doing so, I would really like to try it out. Getting the dimmensions and what not. Anyone out there ever made one or can help me find good instructions?

Thank you!

For your first few, I would say you are best off getting a box, and buying the neck already made. You can get AWESOME necks from Mike at Mainland Ukes (don't forget you need a nut and saddle as well). I have found that most cigar shops will give you a box if you tell them what you are doing, but you can order them as well- I like Thompson Cigars for that.
Here is a cool set of instructions, but they are always a little different.
Definitely join up over at Cigar Box Nation and look at their plans as well.
Hardest part is the neck joint- I use Pete Howlett's bolt on neck method, with easy parts from the local Ace Hardware.
At this point I am kind of addicted to making them, and teaching friends how to make them, so if you get stuck- holler.
Another UU'er did a great video and gets awesome sound making a spruce soundboard on his- here. He also has a hilarious dog-bonus.
You can also buy kits- the one from Papa's boxes seems like it would be nice, albeit more expensive for a guy who has a little time and an idle Dremel sitting around, so I do them myself.
Other stuff- CBU's are kind of quiet so electric ones are of course more fun. $3 pickup works all right- here that is, but lately I have been making resonators from tart pans for mine.
Have fun and good luck
Dave

hi ghostriderukster and welcome to the forums!

AWESOME ADVICE DAVE!!! Fantastic post mate. Thanks. I'm sure heaps of people would find this amazingly helpful, I sure did. :)

What have you figured out on this line - I too have been interested in making my own cigar box uke - tried pappa's boxes but they are sold out and not planning on having many more at least until possibly next year

The quick way is to get a Grizzly uke kit (Amazon) and discard the body and strings. Use the rest or better yet, replace the nut and bridge (at local guitar shop).

Get the largest box at the local tobacco shop. Bigger is better.

Sand the base of the neck to be flat and fit the box end. Do some dry fits so that the neck angle is good for proper string setup height at the 12th fret. (You may need to replace the bridge for proper string height when you are done).

Bolt the neck to the body. I used a specialty screw -- can't remember the name but it has a wood thread at on end, machine screw at the other -- and simply bolted the neck to the box. (Use glue too). Access is through the sound hole.

Or talk to Ukantor who is a member here,he has made
quite a few! And little crackers they are too!

Cigar box uke

I'm no expert at all, but I did document my first attempt to build a cigar box uke last year at Instructables.com. I used many parts (neck, fretboard, tuners and bridge) from Mainland ukes, some hardware store parts, some CB Gitty parts etc. I documented each step, good and bad. Here's the link.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Building-a-Cigar-Box-Tenor-Ukulele/

Top Bottom