Hawaii ukulele experience

Nuprin

Reaction score
I've been in Hawaii for vacation since Wednesday and I'm leaving tomorrow morning. I haven't had a ton of time to pander to my ukulele obsession as I'm with family. I did manage to make it to a few stores and take the KoAloha factory tour though.

Wednesday:

First shop, Aloha Ukulele in the Hilton Hawaiian Village (where I'm staying). The employee was nice enough...we chatted ukes for a bit. He let me play a Pineapple Sunday to check it out. They normally sell for around $1500, Aloha Ukulele had 2 in stock for $1300 (he also offered to throw in a free case with it). They had some nice Kamakas, Kanileas and a Koolau but I didn't get to try those out. This was the first Pineapple Sunday I have gotten to try...nice tone but it honestly didn't blow me away.

Second shop, Ukulele PuaPua in the Sheraton Waikiki. Got to play my first Sceptre (tenor scale although they also had a concert)...it was nice but I'm not a big fan of thin bodied ukes...they feel too different when holding them...sounded nice though...a lot of volume from a small body. Checked out a Martin S1 (I have one on order through my workplace but didn't really know what to expect...I like it...it's never going to be my main uke but it's got a nice tone and plays well). I also got to play my first concert KoAloha (which was my goal while I was in Hawaii). I have owned both a standard and a tenor KoAloha. They were both great but I didn't love them enough to keep. People always talk about how great their concerts are and they are spot on. It played wonderfully and sounded even better. The store also had a Martin 5K and a Koa Works tenor but I didn't get to play them. The employee didn't really want me to grab the ukes from the wall myself (he wanted to hand them to me) and he would stand right over my shoulder while I played. I prefer a little space to get comfortable and he wasn't giving it to me. Therefore I only tried those 3 ukes.

Third shop, Bob's Ukulele in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. I wish I had a little more time to spend at this store...the employee let me do my thing...told me to just grab whatever I wanted to play and let me have my space. They had a decent selection of G-String (spoke briefly with the employee about the status of G-String...he agreed they're really not making ukes anymore...he did point me in the direction of a couple of Ana'ole tenors which are made by an employee of G-String...really nice tone to it). They had a few Kamakas...similar with KoAloha, I've had a Kamaka standard and tenor. Liked the standard but ended up selling it. Loved the tenor and recently sold it to fund my upcoming Moore Bettah...I'm still a little regretful over that decision...wish I could have kept it as well. At Bob's I had my first experience with a Kamaka concert...it was pretty out of tune (and the friction tuners were really, really tight) but fortunately I had my iPhone with a tuner app with me. A few minutes later I was playing away...really nice tone even with the stock strings. Unfortunately I was in a rush and didn't get to play any others (I hadn't planned on going to this store...just happened to pass by it and stopped in).

Thursday:

No stores, just the KoAloha mini tour. Great tour...took some pictures (will upload them when I arrive home). Got to see the KoAloha line of Japan ukes where all proceeds of the sale go to Japan. Pops was in a rush and stopped for only a minute or so to talk to us. After the tour was finished, I got to talk to our tour guide about Pop's 4th masterpiece...apparently the body will be in the shape of a waving flag and, like the Japan ukuleles, the proceeds (at least for the initial sales) will go to aiding Japan. There was a decent selection on the 2nds wall. A couple of concerts, quite a few standards, a super concert, a tenor, and a concert sceptre. I bought a concert...it's the first time I have actually gotten to play the ukulele before I bought. Unfortunately I have no more carry-on allowance so KoAloha is shipping the ukulele to me...won't see it again until next week but I did get a picture of her. I ended up being the last one from the tour as I was completing my purchase so I asked if they had a Jukulele that I could take a picture of. After some looking, they found one upstairs. They brought it down and I got a nice picture of it...they then told me to go ahead and play for awhile. I was surprised by how heavy it was. It was pretty loud also...overall a nice uke and the workmanship on it is amazing! Half of the 2nds wall was for 2nds for sale...the other half was for display ukes and ukes needing repair. On the repair side was Brittni Paiva's ukulele...apparently the neck has twisted so, rather than try to repair it, they're making her a new uke. As I was leaving I also noticed a car in the parking lot with both a KoAloha bumper stick as well as a UU bumper sticker! Overall a fantastic experience!

Anyway, I won't be doing any more ukulele shopping or anything this trip as my day is already planned with scenic activities and I leave tomorrow morning (so sad). It's been a great trip and a much needed relaxing vacation. One other thing I found interesting was the first night I was here, there were 2 television commercials in a row featuring Jake (one for Farmer's Insurance, the other I don't remember what it was for). Guess if you're in the land of ukuleles, you've got to market your brand the right way! Anyway, I will be uploading pictures once I get back home tomorrow (or maybe Sunday depending on how lazy I'm feeling). Will definitely be sad to leave. It had been about 15 years since I had last visited Hawaii and it was just as enjoyable as it had been before. I'll make sure I don't wait as long to visit again.

I think the KoAloha concerts are the best. It really separates itself from other K concerts.

Sounds like you're having a great time out there. You could have brought back the uke along with your carry on since most airlines do not count an instrument against your carry on allowance.

Did you play the four or six string Juke?

I think the KoAloha concerts are the best. It really separates itself from other K concerts.

Sounds like you're having a great time out there. You could have brought back the uke along with your carry on since most airlines do not count an instrument against your carry on allowance.

Did you play the four or six string Juke?

I played the 4 string. Unfortunately I still couldn't bring it back as a carry on as I've got my Flea as a carry on (plus a roller and a laptop bag).

Aloha Nuprin,
Sounds like you are having a wonderful time....check out Dan's guitars and Kanikapila Grille for good Hawaiian entertainment in the reef hotel in waikiki....

Thanks for the report! Sounds like you had great excperiences! I started a similar thread here about my ukulele shopping experiences in Waikiki and on Kauai, but still have to post (1) about the second part of my shopping trip, which included a KoAloha factory minitour and a stop at Dan's Guitars (2) photos from my Kamaka and KoAloha factory tours (I also got to see the Brittni uke and the new Japan uke, and I was allowed to play the encased mini uke that inspired Papa KoAloha to start making real ukuleles); and (3) about the upshot of my Great Hawaiian Ukulele Shopping Adventure (a.k.a. the "New Uke Day" post with pics).

You should have shipped the Flea and carried the KoAloha!!!!

Had I had the Flea with me I would have! As I didn't I really didn't want to have to package it up and ship it myself. I trust KoAloha to do a better job than me.

Thanks for the report! Sounds like you had great excperiences! I started a similar thread here about my ukulele shopping experiences in Waikiki and on Kauai, but still have to post (1) about the second part of my shopping trip, which included a KoAloha factory minitour and a stop at Dan's Guitars (2) photos from my Kamaka and KoAloha factory tours (I also got to see the Brittni uke and the new Japan uke, and I was allowed to play the encased mini uke that inspired Papa KoAloha to start making real ukuleles); and (3) about the upshot of my Great Hawaiian Ukulele Shopping Adventure (a.k.a. the "New Uke Day" post with pics).

They took the mini uke out of the display to show me but I didn't get to play it. Lucky you! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip leading up to the exciting new uke day!

Okay, finally getting around to uploading some pictures...there's a bunch of them so bear with me.

Outside the KoAloha factory:
IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Our tour guide testing the strength of KoAloha's unibrace (see next picture for unibrace...middle uke):
IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0292-1.jpg

Stacks of koa waiting to be used:
IMG_0290-1.jpg

Sides being bent:
IMG_0293.jpg

Unfinished Pineapple Sunday and Sceptre:
IMG_0296.jpg

Older model? (Notice the oval soundhole):
IMG_0302.jpg

Top for an upcoming Japanese model:
IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

A custom being built?
IMG_0295.jpg

Another custom (notice the MOP KoAloha inlay):
IMG_0306.jpg

A blurry shot of Pops...he was busy so he only stopped to apologize that he couldn't speak with us:
IMG_0310.jpg

The KoAloha tree:
IMG_0311.jpg

More Japanese models (was told that all proceeds will be donated to Japan):
IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

The repair/seconds wall:
IMG_0313.jpg

Working on the fretboards:
IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Brittni Paiva's ukulele (in for repair...was told that the neck is too twisted so they will just build her a new uke):
IMG_0317.jpg

The mini-uke. Was told that Pops originally ran a plastics company (you can see the signs out front say "Precision Plastics Inc. DBA (doing business as) KoAloha Ukulele"). A number of other plastic companies were cropping up so Pop's sister (who ran a gift shop) suggested he make mini ukuleles as little toys and souvenirs. Pops took it a step further and made the mini uke playable...this was the result:
IMG_0319.jpg

I was wrapping up my purchase when the last of the tour-goers left. I decided to ask if they had a Jukulele that I could photograph. They brought one down and insisted that I play it (was surprised by how heavy it was!...sounded great though):
IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

A car I passed in the parking lot as I was leaving...UU REPRESENT!!!
IMG_0323.jpg

Last edited:
Finally, my new uke! Had to have them ship it due to the carry-on limit...got the UPS notification today that it should get delivered next Tuesday (the 26th). Can't wait! I've owned a standard and tenor (have since sold both) but the concert, in my opinion, has the best sound.
IMG_0320.jpg

One other picture...not from the KoAloha factory but instead carved into a pillar at the Hilton Hawaiian Village:
photo.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to upload the pictures. It was really fun to see them!

Really really really cool thread, great pictures. Those braddahs kick okole.

Top Bottom