Pono MC vs Ohana CK 35G

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Having a hard time choosing between a Pono MC and an Ohana CK 35G. They are priced within $10 of one another and I am not in a position to play either before buying. I keep hearing that the Pono's neck is "chunky". Both sound great on YouTube, and the Ohana has a gloss finish I like that would require I by a Pono MCD to duplicate at much more money.
This will be my main "practice" uke, take to Meetups, etc. When my playing deserves it, I will buy a really great uke (custom ir a "K" uke, probably a Koa. Anyone own both of these ukes? Extremely familiar with both? I love a "sweet" mahogany sound with just a "touch" of brightness.

The usual response I don't have both but I have both brands. Both are awesome. I am playing the sk38 while I type but I just got done with my Tenor Pono. I can't say enough about the sound of my pono's. I love my Ohana's but to me, the Pono is absolutely amazing sounding. I have played the pono and I am buying one in about 2 weeks if that means anything...

I can only speak to the Ohana. It is a great instrument. I sold mine only because I have a Kamaka, and since I play mostly sopranos, I don't need more than one concert. But if I didn't have the K brand, I would have kept it.

I am playing the sk38 while I type but I just got done with my Tenor Pono.
Dang! Now that there is talent! I do well to play or type, let alone do both at once!

:biglaugh: John

The Ohana is louder and still very sweet in tone. The Pono is much quieter and you'd have to play it a lot harder to get the same volume. With a pickup, the Pono would be much tighter competition. As it is now, it is no competition for the Ohana.

Like th others I dont have these models, but I have a Pono Concert PKC2 and a Pono Concert PCMP, also a couple of Ohana sopranos, and the necks on the Ponos are as slim as the Ohanas, a trifle wider of course being concert necks but no discernable differance in depth, and about the same curvature. The only criticism I have with any of them is the Pono PKC2 has low frets....this would be okay if I played correctly with my figers just behind the frets, but I'm no virtuoso, lol. I've just lowered the bridge slightly, which has helped but the strings need lowering at the nut as well (I was out with my spark plug feeler gauge yesterday trying to figure out if the frets were lower)

Good luck.

Cheers

if you buy with someone like MGM, either one will be a good buy.

The sound difference is small and very subjective. Now the difference is in getting a ukulele with or without setup.

Both have parts coming from Asia, and when they are sold without going through the setup, can sometimes bother with the action, etc..

I buy one Pono MC with MGM and still waiting it arrives since last week.

I can only speak for Pono, but I really like mine. I have the MTD-E, but haven't tried it plugged in yet. It isn't the loudest ukulele out there, but it had a wonderful tone. Plus, the instrument is very well made. I have also heard some really good things about the Ohanas though. Honestly, as long as you buy it set up, either one would be a good buy :)

Top Bottom