Latest Build, # 5 with Tru oil finish

funaddict

Reaction score
Here is the latest. Concert sized uke with a curly maple body and neck with Jotoba fretboard, bridge, and logo inlay. Lauhala (pandanus) rosette. Decided to try the Tru oil finish. It was pretty simple to apply, although I didn't catch the part about removing EVERY scratch from the surface before applying Tru oil. Apparently there were some fine swirl scratches from the RO sander on the back, and the Tru oil doesn't fill them. I'm glad this uke wasn't promised to anyone, or I'd have to strip it down and refinish. They're really hard to see, you can pretty much only see them in the right light, so I'll just leave them in and chalk it up to experience. I guess this is one of those "give away" practice ukes!
Alan

IMGP1390.jpgIMGP1388.jpgIMGP1386.jpgIMGP1391.jpg

Last edited:
That is a very pretty uke. The curly maple is gorgeous.

Aloha Alan,
Looks Absoutely gorgous...give it away??....you got to be kidding...wouldn't mind having that baby...thanks for sharing, MM Stan

It's beautiful. The sound, what about the sound?

wow Alan. That is stunning. Love the rosette and the fretboard. That jotoba has a gorgeous vintage look about it. That is a truly beautiful uke. Are you going to sell it? :drool:

Super looking uke there! I love the rosette, I've had a similar zebrawood rosette cut out for over a year now just waiting for the right uke to put it on I suppose. Sure does look nice.

Compensated saddle too.. bet it sounds good.

Last edited:
Thanks all! The two maple-topped ukes I built both had a different sound than the redwood and the oak topped ukes. Not as full sounding, kind of thinner than the others. The curly maple sure is beautiful, but I'll probably avoid using it for the soundboards for awhile. I did pore fill with epoxy and put on about 6 coats of tru oil. It plays well and the intonation is pretty accurate all along the fretboard.
Alan

Great job! Gorgeous! Been 25 years since I used tru oil on gunstocks, I look forward to using it on my first kit uke

Top Bottom