Banjo uke question re: heads and bridges

ichadwick

Reaction score
Will changing to a skin head make a significant difference to the sound of a banjo uke?

I ask beccause I spent a couple of hours playing with banjo ukes at a music store, yesterday, and found them all a bit brash tending towards the cold side of the tones. Would a skin head warm these up, reduce some of the metallic ring?

What about changing bridges? All the bridges I've ever seen are combo saddle-bridge with a thin slice of ebony (?) over a wood foot. What other options are available and how will they affect the tone?

OOh, good questions. I'll be watching this thread also.

There are even differences in sound between different types of plastic heads. I think skin heads usually produce a softer sound, but the disadvantage is they tend to sag with humidity sometimes making the action so low, they become unplayable until remedied.
Grover sells a 4 string banjo bridge with ebony and bone inlaid in the bridge, they help give a nice crisp sound.
http://www.janetdavismusic.com/grover5_268.html

You are in luck!! I am writing that article today to kick off Banjo uke week (April 17-23)
and to answer your question, Yes.........Oh, I bet you want more, well OK.
there are many types of heads, but I say that for the banjo world, for the uke world it seems there are 5 (Calf skin, Goat skin, simulated skin, plastic coated, and plastic uncoated)
So what is the difference? The skins and coated plastics are less bright in varying degrees. if you can go to a place that has different heads for banjos or drums and tap on the un-mounted heads of the different types the uncoated plastic is bright while the skins and coated plastic are dull in comparison, and that will defiantly change the sound.
Another added thing with the head is how much tension you can put on it. if you leave it slack it will be much different than making it crazy tight.
Onto bridges!
You are correct in noticing that most are a maple ebony combo. both hard woods, and not 100% sure why they do it, but I know maple is really the standard for making them.
the other options that you have to change the sound is to replace it with a bridge with plastic inserts, or make your own with a softer wood than maple.

Check my site tomorrow for a full article, I am just starting ti now and will be finding things out, like why they use a maple ebony bridge.

There are those of us in the banjo world that are "stuffers". I like using a piece of yellow sponge, the kind you use to wash your car, stuffed between the truss rod and head. It dampens the sound a bit, and takes the harsh edge off. Towels, old t-shirts, spare coon skins...anything will work. Just don't make it too tight or you'll kill the sound entirely.

(Do banjo ukes have truss rods? Idk...)

But a skin head will sound warmer than a plastic head...just keep different height bridges to help offset any sag from humidity.

Good luck.

~Michael

Interesting responses. Thanks. I should have asked more when I was at the music store in Toronto. I will ask about them at the local music store, but banjos aren't their main focus (let alone banjo ukes). Twelfth Fret had dozens of banjos on display and a separate room for trying and playing them. Here they have one, maybe two on sale... mostly they sell guitars, some keyboards and accessories. Well, I'll ask anyway.

I hadn't thought about the sponge as a dampener. Really makes sense when I think about it.

What about the back resonator plate? All the Gold Tones I saw yesterday had them. What sort of sound change happens when you remove the plate? Or replace it (or cover it) with a non-reflective material? or a more reflective material like metal?

Has anyone ever experimented with replacing a skin head with a metal resonator cone? Strikes me the only real difference between a banjo/banjolele and a resonator is the material (well, some engineering too). Would a resonator biscuit work on a skin head, too?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Ok, here's a question for you all. My newly aquired Gold tone concert banjo uke sounds great except when playing the note "D" on all strings. (Again with the "D" note) It has a wavering sound like something in the banjo uke is resonating to the "D" but not exactly in pitch. I've noticed that when I touch the head at a certain spot and pluck the "D" note it goes away. s this a matter of how the head is tuned? Can it be remedied?
Thanks,
cb

What about the back resonator plate? All the Gold Tones I saw yesterday had them. What sort of sound change happens when you remove the plate? Or replace it (or cover it) with a non-reflective material? or a more reflective material like metal?.......
I have removed the back on mine and the tone does change quite a bit IMO. Also the volume drops quite a bit. To be the tone is mellower, quieter and somewhat less banjo sounding that way. Not an unpleasant sound at all but I think I prefer it with the back on a bit more.

Bought some foil pie plates and a metal store-burner cover today to test with the BU, see what sort of sound results. Next have to get a different sort of bridge - maybe graphite? Have to see if Tusq has something for banjos, too...

Ok, here's a question for you all. My newly aquired Gold tone concert banjo uke sounds great except when playing the note "D" on all strings. (Again with the "D" note) It has a wavering sound like something in the banjo uke is resonating to the "D" but not exactly in pitch. I've noticed that when I touch the head at a certain spot and pluck the "D" note it goes away. s this a matter of how the head is tuned? Can it be remedied?
Thanks,
cb

---

I tightened the "drum" head on my Goldtone Banjolele about 1/8th of a turn at a time ("X" sequence) and the same problem went away (don't remember which note, may have been "D").

Tom

I've been playing banjo for a number of years and I can tell you, for great information on any banjo question of any style go to the "Banjo Hangout discussion forums". Bridges, heads,strings,playing,construction,meaning of life, great info. even for banjolele players.

Elderly sells the Farquhar cherry bridges - seem a lot nicer than the Grovers - I have one, but won't be installing it on my old Stella until I get the right files for the string slots.

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/FVVB.htm

-Kurt

Thnaks, I'll look for one on eBay (Elderly charges too much to ship to Canada).
Also want to get some backup strings - mine was strung high-D with unwound strings. Almost look like Martins - semi-transluscent. Not Aquilas, but could be D'Addario. Have emailed Gold Tone but no response yet...

Top Bottom